Patricia England

Learn More
Diphenyleneiodonium (DPI) and its analogues have been previously shown to react via a radical mechanism whereby an electron is abstracted from a nucleophile to form a radical, which then adds back to the nucleophile to form covalent adducts [Banks (1966) Chem. Rev. 66, 243-266]. We propose that the inhibition of neutrophil NADPH oxidase by DPI occurs via a(More)
1. Transient and steady-state changes caused by acetate utilization were studied in perfused rat heart. The transient period occupied 6min and steady-state changes were followed in a further 6min of perfusion. 2. In control perfusions glucose oxidation accounted for 75% of oxygen utilization; the remaining 25% was assumed to represent oxidation of glyceride(More)
1. The work of the perfused rat heart was acutely increased by raising the aortic pressure in the Langendorff preparation from 50 to 120mmHg; within 1 min in perfusions with media containing glucose or glucose+acetate, rates of oxygen consumption and tricarboxylate-cycle turnover increased 2.5-fold, glycolysis rate doubled and oxidation of triglyceride(More)
Four cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase (PDE) activities were separated from low-speed supernatants of homogenates of human cardiac ventricle by DEAE-Sepharose chromatography, and designated PDE I-PDE IV in order of elution with an increasing salt gradient. PDE I was a Ca2+/calmodulin-stimulated activity, and PDE II was an activity with a high Km for(More)
1. Rat hearts were perfused with 32Pi, and contractile force was increased by positive inotropic agents (agents that increase contractility). The inhibitory subunit of troponin (troponin I) was then isolated by affinity chromatography in 8M-urea, and its 32P content measured. Incorporation of phosphate into the subunit was calculated on the basis of the(More)
1. The kinetic properties of the soluble and particulate hexokinases from rat heart have been investigated. 2. For both forms of the enzyme, the K(m) for glucose was 45mum and the K(m) for ATP 0.5mm. Glucose 6-phosphate was a non-competitive inhibitor with respect to glucose (K(i) 0.16mm for the soluble and 0.33mm for the particulate enzyme) and a mixed(More)
1. Cyclic GMP-dependent protein kinase phosphorylates purified phospholamban. It also phosphorylates phospholamban present in vesicles of cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum and smooth muscle microsomal fractions, and in transformants of Escherichia coli which contain a plasmid into which a gene encoding phospholamban has been inserted. 2. In vitro the(More)