Microbial amylolytic enzymes.
- M. Vihinen, P. Mäntsälä
- BiologyCritical reviews in biochemistry and molecular…
Genes encoding enzymes from all the amylolytic enzyme groups dealt with here have been cloned, and the sequences have been found to contain some highly conserved regions thought to be essential for their action and/or structure.
An efficient approach for screening minimal PKS genes from Streptomyces.
- M. Metsä‐Ketelä, V. Saló, K. Ylihonko
- BiologyFEMS Microbiology Letters
- 1 November 1999
Degenerated oligonucleotide primers were designed to amplify fragments of ketosynthase genes from polyketide antibiotics producing Streptomyces spp. and bacterial strains enriched from soil samples.…
Structure of the polyketide cyclase SnoaL reveals a novel mechanism for enzymatic aldol condensation
- A. Sultana, P. Kallio, G. Schneider
- Chemistry, BiologyEMBO Journal
- 5 May 2004
The 3D structure and site‐directed mutagenesis experiments reveal that the mechanism of the intramolecular aldol condensation catalysed by SnoaL is different from that of the classical a Aldolases, which employ covalent Schiff base formation or a metal ion cofactor.
Crystal structure of Bacillus subtilis YabJ, a purine regulatory protein and member of the highly conserved YjgF family.
- S. Sinha, P. Rappu, S. C. Lange, P. Mäntsälä, H. Zalkin, J. L. Smith
- BiologyProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences…
- 9 November 1999
The 1.7-A crystal structure of YabJ reveals a trimeric organization with extensive buried hydrophobic surface and an internal water-filled cavity and the most important finding in the structure is a deep, narrow cleft between subunits lined with nine side chains that are invariant among the 25 most similar homologs.
Molecular Evolution of Aromatic Polyketides and Comparative Sequence Analysis of Polyketide Ketosynthase and 16S Ribosomal DNA Genes from Various Streptomyces Species
- M. Metsä‐Ketelä, L. Halo, E. Munukka, J. Hakala, P. Mäntsälä, K. Ylihonko
- Biology, EngineeringApplied and Environmental Microbiology
- 1 September 2002
The results show that the ketosynthase tree could be used for DNA fingerprinting of secondary metabolites and for screening interesting aromatic polyketide biosynthesis genes.
Crystal structures of two aromatic hydroxylases involved in the early tailoring steps of angucycline biosynthesis.
- H. Koskiniemi, M. Metsä‐Ketelä, J. Niemi
- Chemistry, BiologyJournal of Molecular Biology
- 21 September 2007
The entire nogalamycin biosynthetic gene cluster of Streptomyces nogalater: characterization of a 20-kb DNA region and generation of hybrid structures
- S. Torkkell, T. Kunnari, K. Palmu, P. Mäntsälä, J. Hakala, K. Ylihonko
- Chemistry, BiologyZeitschrift für Induktive Abstammungs- und…
- 1 October 2001
The results suggest that the entire biosynthetic gene cluster for nogalamycin is now known and show that it is possible to use the genes in combinatorial biosynthesis to create novel chemical structures for drug screening purposes.
Opioid peptides derived from in-vitro proteolysis of bovine whey proteins
- P. Antila, I. Paakkari, J. Hellman
Aclacinomycin oxidoreductase (AknOx) from the biosynthetic pathway of the antibiotic aclacinomycin is an unusual flavoenzyme with a dual active site
- I. Alexeev, A. Sultana, P. Mäntsälä, J. Niemi, G. Schneider
- Chemistry, BiologyProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
- 10 April 2007
The structure and site-directed mutagenesis data presented here are consistent with a mechanism where the two different reactions of AknOx are catalyzed in the same active site but by different active site residues.