• Publications
  • Influence
Energy cost of running.
Indirect calorimetric measurements were made on two athletes running at different speeds up to 22 km/hr at grades from -20 to +15%; the function was found to be linearly related to speed. Within th...
In vivo human gastrocnemius architecture with changing joint angle at rest and during graded isometric contraction.
TLDR
The remarkable shortening observed during isometric contraction suggests that, at rest, the gastrocnemius muscle and tendon are considerably slack, and the extrapolation of muscle architectural data obtained from cadaver conditions should be made only for matching muscle lengths.
Muscle oxygenation and pulmonary gas exchange kinetics during cycling exercise on-transitions in humans.
TLDR
The constant muscle oxygenation during the initial phase of the on-transition indicates a tight coupling between increases in O2 delivery and O2 utilization and adequacy of O2 availability in relation to needs.
Changes in force, cross-sectional area and neural activation during strength training and detraining of the human quadriceps
TLDR
Hypertrophy produced by strength training accounts for 40% of the increase in force while the remaining 60% seems to be attributable to an increased neural drive and possibly to changes in muscle architecture.
Human quadriceps cross-sectional area, torque and neural activation during 6 months strength training.
Quadriceps muscle and fibre cross-sectional areas (CSA), torque and neural activation were studied in seven healthy males during 6 months of weight training on alternate days with six series of eight
Blood lactate accumulation and muscle deoxygenation during incremental exercise.
TLDR
Muscle deoxygenation observed in the present study from 60-65% of VO(2 peak) could be attributed to capillary-venular Hb desaturation in the presence of relatively constant capillary -venular PO(2) levels, as a consequence of a rightward shift of the O( 2)Hb dissociation curve determined by the onset of lactic acidosis.
Effect of aging on human adductor pollicis muscle function.
TLDR
Isometric endurance, evaluated during 30 s of stimulation at 30 Hz, showed a linear (P less than 0.001) increase with age, which is thus weaker, slower, and tetanized at lower fusion frequencies but, paradoxically, more resistant to static fatigue.
Fatigue and exhaustion in chronic hypobaric hypoxia: influence of exercising muscle mass.
TLDR
Interactive electromyogram activity (IEMG) and mean (MPF) and centroid (CPF) power frequencies of the EMG power spectrum during exercise were calculated for forearm flexors and vastus lateralis muscle in chronic hypobaric hypoxia.
Morphological adaptations of human skeletal muscle to chronic hypoxia.
TLDR
It is concluded that oxygen availability to muscle mitochondria after prolonged high-altitude exposure in humans is improved due to an unchanged capillary network, supplying a reduced muscle oxidative capacity.
Phosphocreatine hydrolysis by 31P-NMR at the onset of constant-load exercise in humans.
The kinetics of phosphocreatine (PC) breakdown in human plantar flexors at the onset of constant-load aerobic exercise was determined by high-resolution 31P-nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
...
1
2
3
4
5
...