Nilima Raina

  • Citations Per Year
Learn More
Previous studies had shown that increasing energy intake in anorexic TNF-alpha-treated rats increased morbidity due to stabilization of TNF activity by soluble and membrane TNF receptors (TNFR). Although protein supplementation reduces septic morbidity, its effect on TNF and TNFR is unknown. To determine the effect of low protein intake and supplementation(More)
The role of colonic fermentation in providing energy was investigated in rats with small bowel transection (T) or 80% resection (SBR). Rats were randomized to receive for 12 d either saline (S) or the enteral solution (E) through a cecostomy to meet 30% of energy requirement; the rest (70%) was provided by parenteral nutrition. Although SBR-S rats lost(More)
Fasting plasma samples from 42 voluntary subjects of moderate to high socioeconomic status families and living in Delhi, taking 5-20 oz/week of alcohol regularly, and 42 normal subjects from comparable socioeconomic status with no history of intake of alcohol and no evidence of any known metabolic or coronary problems were analyzed for cholesterol and(More)
Previous studies showed that weight-gaining rats had greater retention and reduced turnover of 125I-labeled tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha in the circulation compared with weight-losing animals. We therefore tested the hypothesis that protein-energy restriction with weight loss reduces the levels of soluble TNF-alpha receptor (sTNFR) and membrane TNFR(More)
BACKGROUND We previously showed that continuous infusion of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) in orally fed rats caused weight and muscle wasting mainly because of anorexia. However, when we tried to prevent weight loss by giving total parenteral nutrition (TPN), TNF-infused rats developed hyperglycemia, azotemia, and hepatic abnormalities. The(More)
Previous studies have shown that anorexia and reduced food intake are the main causes of weight loss in rats infused with tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha), with no influence on corticosterone concentrations. In contrast, in clinical sepsis, muscle wasting due to increased catabolism is associated with increased corticosteroid concentrations. We(More)
We have previously shown that a continuous infusion of tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) in rats results in an increase in plasma triglyceride (TG), liver protein and DNA, and at the same time a reduction in muscle protein. However, there is no information on the associated effects of TNF-α on liver and muscle lipids. The present study, therefore, determined(More)
BACKGROUND Animals treated with tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) developed severe metabolic abnormalities despite receiving sufficient protein and energy by total parenteral nutrition (TPN). OBJECTIVE We sought to investigate the nutritional and metabolic effects of bacterial lipopolysaccharide (LPS) in rats. DESIGN Rats were randomly allocated(More)
BACKGROUND The pathogenetic mechanism of hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is paradoxical renal vasoconstriction consequent upon systemic and splanchnic arterial vasodilatation. Molecular adsorbent recirculating system (MARS) is a specialised form of dialysis that clears albumin-bound substances, including vasodilators, and therefore can potentially reduce(More)
BACKGROUND/AIMS After massive small bowel resection, malabsorbed carbohydrates reach the colon and undergo fermentation. This study investigates the role of colonic fermentation in rats with 80% small bowel resection on weight gain, nitrogen balance, body composition, and intestinal adaptation. METHODS Resected or transected rats were fed a liquid diet(More)