Learn More
AIM To evaluate the ameliorative effect of naringenin (NG) during ulcerative colitis (UC) in rats. METHODS Rats were treated with three different doses (25, 50 and 100 mg/kg per day) of NG and a single dose of mesalazine (MES, 300 mg/kg per day) for seven days prior to ulcerative colitis induction by 4% acetic acid (AA). Twenty four hours after AA rectal(More)
BACKGROUND Overproduction of free radicals and decreased antioxidant capacity are well-known risk factors for inflammatory bowel diseases. Gymnema sylvestre (GS) leaves extract is distinguished for its anti-diabetic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Present study is designed to evaluate the preventative activities of GS against acetic acid(More)
UNLABELLED BACKGROUND Plant flavonoids are emerging as potent therapeutic drugs effective against a wide range of aging diseases particularly bone metabolic disorders. Morin (3,5,7,20,40-pentahydroxyflavone), a member of flavonols, is an important bioactive compound by interacting with nucleic acids, enzymes and protein. The present study was designed to(More)
BACKGROUND High-cholesterol diet (HCD) increases the oxidative stress in different tissues leading to many diseases. Rutin (RT) is a natural flavonoid (vitamin p), which possesses an antioxidant activity with protective potential. The present study aimed to examine the potential effects of rutin on hypercholesterolemia-induced hepatotoxicity in rat. (More)
OBJECTIVES Present study aims to investigate the ameliorative effects of naringenin (NG) on experimentally induced diabetic neuropathy (DN) in rats. METHODS Diabetes was induced by single intraperitoneal injection of streptozotocin (STZ, 60  g/kg). Naringenin (25 and 50 mg/kg/day) treatment was started 2 weeks after the diabetes induction and continued(More)
The fine structure os spinal ganglia from seven slow lorises (Nycticebus coucang coucang) was studied following perfusion fixation using different concentrations of glutaraldehyde and post-fixation in 1% osmic acid. Two cell types, one light (63%), and the other dark (37%) were reported out of the total number of 425 neurons counted. Almost all the light(More)
Neurodegeneration is an early event in the diabetic retina which may lead to diabetic retinopathy. One of the potential pathways in damaging retinal neurons is the activation of renin angiotensin system including angiotensin II type 1 receptor (AT1R) in the diabetic retina. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of telmisartan, an AT1R(More)