Mohamed A. Yassin

Learn More
INTRODUCTION In males, acquired hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (AHH) includes all disorders that damage or alter the function of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neurons and/or pituitary gonadotroph cells. The clinical characteristics of AHH are androgen deficiency and lack, delay or halt of pubertal sexual maturation. AHH lead to decreased libido,(More)
INTRODUCTION IGF-1 deficiency in TM patients in children and adolescents has been attributed to chronic anemia and hypoxia, chronic liver disease, iron overload and other associated endocrinopathies, e.g. growth hormone deficiency (GHD). Few data are available in the literature regarding adult TM patients and growth disorders. The aim of this study was to(More)
BACKGROUND Thalassemia major patients with repeated blood transfusion have high prevalence of endocrinopathies due to iron overload. MATERIALS AND METHODS We examined the adrenocortical function in 23 thalassemic patients (10 children and 13 young adults) aged 8-26 years. Serum cortisol and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) concentrations were(More)
INTRODUCTION Primary hypothyroidism is one of the most frequent complications observed in-patients suffering from thalassemia. We investigated and reviewed the thyroid function in all thalassemic patients attending the Pediatric Endocrine Clinic of Hamad Medical Center, Doha, Qatar during the last 10 years of follow-up. PATIENTS AND METHODS A total of 48(More)
Dasatinib is a kinase inhibitor indicated for the treatment of newly diagnosed adults with Philadelphia chromosome-positive (Ph+) chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) in chronic phase and accelerated (myeloid or lymphoid blast) phase, and CML with resistance or intolerance to prior therapy including imatinib and in adults with Ph+ acute lymphoblastic leukemia1(More)
The survival of patients with thalassemia major has progressively improved with advances in therapy; however, osteoporosis and cardiac dysfunction remain frequent complications. Adequate circulating levels of vitamin D are essential for optimal skeletal health and reducing fracture risk. Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency is reported to be high in(More)
Artificial neural networks (ANNs) and gene expression programming (GEP) were compared to estimate daily reference evapotranspiration (ET ref) under arid conditions. The daily climatic variables were collected by 13 meteorological stations from 1980 to 2010. The ANN and GEP models were trained on 65% of the climatic data and tested using the remaining 35%.(More)
Despite improvement of blood transfusion regimens and iron chelation therapy growth and maturational delay, cardiomyopathy, endocrinopathies and osteoporosis still occur in good number of thalassemic patients. Decreased IGF-1 secretion occurs in the majority of the thalassemic patients particularly those with growth and pubertal delay. Many factors(More)
INTRODUCTION Bone disease and short stature are frequent clinical features of patients with beta-thalassaemia major. Dysfunction of the GH-IGF-1 axis has been described in many thalassemics children and adolescents with short stature and reduced growth velocity. Assessment of the GH-IGF-1 axis in short adults with TM after attainment of final height may be(More)
Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) systems are an emerging technology that allows frequent glucose measurements to monitor glucose trends in real time. Their use as a diagnostic tool is still developing and appears to be promising. Combining intermittent glucose self-monitoring (SGM) and CGM combines the benefits of both. Significant improvement in the(More)