Michelle A DeBiasse

Learn More
Nutritional support of the seriously ill patient has evolved with time and reflects new developments in the field of critical care. Current information suggests that optimal nutritional support can be provided by supplying at least 80% of energy requirements with at least 70% of the energy given as carbohydrate and the remaining 30% or less administered as(More)
Certain microminerals, named because of their minute quantities in the body, are essential components for maintaining homeostasis involving, in particular, metabolism, immune defense, and wound healing. In general, these trace elements are characterized by having multiple roles and by demonstrating deficiency syndromes that are complex and difficult to(More)
A shift from home-prepared to away-from-home and ready-to-eat foods has occurred in recent decades, which has implications for obesity and health. This study tested whether delay discounting, a facet of impulsivity reflecting sensitivity to immediate reward, is associated with the frequency of consumption and typical amount consumed of home-prepared,(More)
Micronutrients play a key role in many of the metabolic processes that promote survival from critical illness. For vitamins, these processes include oxidative phosphorylation, which is altered in the patient with systemic inflammation, and protection against mediators, in particular oxidants. Trace elements are essential for direct antioxidant activity as(More)
Toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) is a serious drug reaction that is occurring with increased frequency among those affected with HIV and AIDS. It carries a grave prognosis for those with advanced AIDS and massive skin involvement. We report a severe case of TEN treated with wound care, intravenous nutrition, human growth hormone (hgh), and granulocyte(More)
  • 1