Mehari Gebre-Medhin

Learn More
OBJECTIVE To investigate and compare feeding practices among infants of less than 7 months of age in a rural and an urban area in Tanzania. DESIGN Cross-sectional, questionnaire-based interview of mothers and focus group discussions with extension workers and community leaders. SETTING Eleven villages in a rural district and 10 wards in an urban(More)
The true protein content of human milk is 0.9%, in well-nourished as well as malnourished mothers. Casein constitutes only about 20% of the protein nitrogen in human milk. The remaining 80% is derived from the whey proteins, the three dominant components being alpha-lactalbumin, lactoferrin and secretory IgA. alpha-lactalbumin is a subunit of lactose(More)
Doubts have been raised about the effectiveness of carotene-containing foods in improving the vitamin A status of populations at risk. We investigated the effect of papaya and carrots on the vitamin A status of lactating women with 2- to 12-mo-old infants in ZIMBABWE: The women were randomly assigned to three supplementation groups and a placebo group, and(More)
BACKGROUND There is no accepted and widely used indicator for exclusive breastfeeding since birth. Indeed, the difference between 'current status' data on exclusive breastfeeding and data on 'exclusive breastfeeding since birth' is rarely recognized. We used data from a longitudinal study to examine this issue. METHODS A descriptive longitudinal,(More)
Objective: To assess the vitamin A and iron status of lactating women.Design: A population-based cross-sectional descriptive study.Setting: A semi-arid rural area of Makhaza in Zimbabwe.Subjects: Two hundred and seven lactating women with babies aged 2–12 months.Methods: Serum retinol (SR) was measured by HPLC, serum ferritin (SF) by ELIZA, haemoglobin (Hb)(More)
High cyanide intake from consumption of insufficiently processed cassava has been advanced as a possible aetiology of the upper motor neurone disease konzo. However, similar neurodamage has not been associated with cyanide exposure from any other source. With an ecological study design, we compared 22 cases of konzo, 57 unaffected household members and 116(More)
Since 1932, when vitamin A and D supplementation, in the form of cod liver oil, was introduced in Sweden, rickets has been a rare diagnosis among Swedish infants. In 1978, the National Board of Health and Welfare issued recommendations of daily supplementation with 300 micrograms (1000 IU) of vitamin A and 10 micrograms (400 IU) of vitamin D. This has(More)
The (potential) activities of the two lipases in human milk were determined in breast milk samples collected from Ethiopian and Swedish mothers. The major lipase in human milk is dependent on bile salts for activity and probably participates in intestinal digestion of milk lipids in the newborn. The level of this lipase in the milk did not change with time(More)
Transgenic mice overexpressing the human growth hormone gene develop mammary carcinomas. Since human growth hormone gene can activate both the growth hormone receptor (GHR) and the prolactin (PRL) receptor (PRLR), it is not clear which receptor system is responsible for the malignant transformation. To clarify the receptor specificity, we created transgenic(More)
Several clinical observations and experimental studies indicate that pituitary hormones, including growth hormone, play a role in the development of human breast cancer. We analyzed 48 human breast carcinomas using reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction, immunohistochemistry, and Western blotting techniques to assess growth hormone receptor(More)