Learn More
The spin of a single electron subject to a static magnetic field provides a natural two-level system that is suitable for use as a quantum bit, the fundamental logical unit in a quantum computer. Semiconductor quantum dots fabricated by strain driven self-assembly are particularly attractive for the realization of spin quantum bits, as they can be(More)
Electrostatic coupling between particles is important in many microscopic phenomena found in nature. The interaction between two isolated point charges is described by the bare Coulomb potential, but in many-body systems this interaction is modified as a result of the collective response of the screening cloud surrounding each charge carrier. One such(More)
The interaction of thermal neutrons with U results in fission with a probability of 85% and in the formation of U (t1/2 = 2.3 10 yr) with a probability of 15%. While anthropogenic U is, therefore, present in spent nuclear fuel at levels of U/U up to 10 , the expected natural ratios in the pre-anthropogenic environment range from 10 14 to 10 . At VERA,(More)
We report self-induced growth of vertically aligned (i.e. along the [111] direction), free-standing InAs nanowires on Si(111) substrates by solid-source molecular beam epitaxy. Implementation of an ultrathin amorphous SiO(x) mask on Si(111) facilitated epitaxial InAs nanowire growth, as confirmed by high-resolution x-ray diffraction 2theta-omega scans and(More)
We report the direct observation of quantum coupling in individual quantum dot molecules and its manipulation using static electric fields. A pronounced anticrossing of different excitonic transitions is observed as the electric field is tuned. A comparison of our experimental results with theory shows that the observed anticrossing occurs between excitons(More)
Pumice from the `̀ Minoan eruption'' on Thera (Cyclades, Greece) was investigated to reveal the differences between the composition of the bulk material, which contains a certain percentage of crystallites, and the pure glass phase. This is important for the identi®cation of vitric tephra layers found in the Eastern Mediterranean region in archaeological(More)
We study the formation of shock waves in a nanomechanical resonator with an embedded two-dimensional electron gas using surface acoustic waves. The mechanical displacement of the nanoresonator is read out via the induced acoustoelectric current. Applying acoustical standing waves, we are able to determine the so-called anomalous acoustocurrent. This current(More)
Carnivorous plants use animals as fertiliser substitutes which allow them to survive on nutrient deficient soils. Most research concentrated on the uptake of the prey's nitrogen and phosphorus; only little is known on the utilisation of other elements. We studied the uptake of three essential nutrients, potassium, iron and manganese, in three species of(More)
We observe the total filling factor nuT=1 quantum Hall state in a bilayer two-dimensional electron system with virtually no tunneling. We find thermally activated transport in the balanced system with a monotonic increase of the activation energy with decreasing d/lB below 1.65. In the imbalanced system we find activated transport in each of the layers(More)
An electron-phonon cavity consisting of a quantum dot embedded in a freestanding GaAs/AlGaAs membrane is characterized using Coulomb blockade measurements at low temperatures. We find a complete suppression of single electron tunneling around zero bias leading to the formation of an energy gap in the transport spectrum. The observed effect is induced by the(More)