Learn More
BACKGROUND & AIMS The histopathology of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is similar to that of alcoholic liver disease. Colonic bacteria are a source of many metabolic products, including ethanol and other volatile organic compounds (VOC) that may have toxic effects on the human host after intestinal absorption and delivery to the liver via the(More)
Development of complications is very common among the patients suffering from Plasmodium falciparum infection. A total of 64 patients of Plasmodium falciprum infections were admitted to the District Hospital, Ukhrul, during the period of 1st May 1996 to 15th June 1999; 9.37% patients do not develop complication while the rest 90.63% developed one or more(More)
BACKGROUND/AIMS Low hepatic n-6 and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) may contribute to steatosis and steatohepatitis and can be affected by diet and oxidative stress. METHODS Seventy-three patients referred for elevated liver enzymes and suspected NAFLD were assessed. Nutritional assessment, hepatic FA composition and oxidative stress were compared(More)
Malnutrition is prevalent among cirrhotic patients and is an important prognostic factor. Etiologic factors include hypermetabolism, malabsorption, altered nutrient metabolism, and anorexia. It is a challenge to manage nutrition in cirrhotic patients because of alterations to metabolic and storage functions of the liver; use of traditional assessment tools,(More)
BACKGROUND Although workplace workload assessments exist in different fields, an endoscopy-specific workload assessment tool is lacking. OBJECTIVE To validate such a workload tool and use it to map the progression of novice trainees in gastroenterology in performing their first endoscopies. METHODS The National Aeronautics and Space Administration Task(More)
Over the past 5 years, there has been a rapid resurgence of interest in vitamin D outside of its traditional role in metabolic bone disease. Some nontraditional roles ascribed to vitamin D include anti-inflammatory and immune-modulating effects. These effects have led to possible implications in the pathophysiology of immune-mediated diseases including(More)
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and the more severe non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) represent a spectrum of diseases involving hepatic fat accumulation and histological features essentially identical to alcoholic liver disease; however, they occur in the absence of excessive alcohol intake. They typically arise in conjunction with one or more(More)
BACKGROUND A primary goal of education is to promote long-term knowledge storage and retrieval. OBJECTIVE A prospective interventional study design was used to investigate our research question: Does a dispersed curriculum promote better short- and long-term retention over a massed course? METHODS Participants included 20 gastroenterology residents from(More)
BACKGROUND Many people are afflicted with chronic diseases, in which nutrition plays a key role. The need for greater nutrition training among physicians, particularly gastroenterologists, is becoming increasingly evident. OBJECTIVES To determine the nutritional knowledge and perceived nutrition knowledge of gastroenterology fellows. METHODS Thirty-two(More)
Anthelmintic resistance (AR) status in Madras Red sheep from selected field flocks of a government funded scheme, covered by regular, sustained anthelmintic treatment for more than 10 years was determined. Parameters such as fecal egg count reduction test (FECRT), larval paralysis assay (LPA), and allele-specific-PCR (AS-PCR) were used to test the efficacy(More)