Mélanie Béland

Learn More
OBJECTIVES Anxiety has been shown to be associated with poor outcomes in people with diabetes. However, there has been little research which has specifically examined whether diabetes mellitus is associated with an increased likelihood of co-morbid anxiety. The aim of this systematic review and meta-analysis was to determine whether people with diabetes are(More)
The Cdx transcription factors regulate anterior-posterior (AP) vertebral patterning, at least in part, through direct regulation of Hox gene expression. Analysis of allelic series of Cdx mutant mice suggests functional overlap between these family members. However, the lack of a Cdx2 null mutant makes these analyses incomplete. Moreover, Hox proteins are(More)
AIMS Diabetes control is a multifaceted process involving successful adherence to a self-care regimen as indicated by improved health outcomes. The aim of this study was to ascertain the construct validity of self-reported diabetes control in a population-based survey. METHODS This study assessed 1848 participants with type 2 diabetes who took part in the(More)
The Cdx1 gene product is essential for normal anterior-posterior vertebral patterning. Expression of Cdx1 is regulated by several pathways implicated in anterior-posterior patterning events, including retinoid and Wnt signaling. We have previously shown that retinoic acid plays a key role in early stages of Cdx1 expression at embryonic day 7.5 (E7.5), while(More)
It is well established that Hox genes are key players in specifying positional identity along the anterior-posterior axis and are targets of diverse transcription factors implicated in axial patterning. Members of the CDX family (CDX1, -2, and -4) are among such effectors of Hox expression as pertains to vertebral patterning in the mouse. Cdx members are(More)
Neural crest cells (NCC) are a transient migratory cell population that generates diverse cell types such as neurons and glia of the enteric nervous system (ENS). Via an insertional mutation screen for loci affecting NCC development in mice, we identified one line-named TashT-that displays a partially penetrant aganglionic megacolon phenotype in a strong(More)
GATA4 is an essential transcription factor required for the development and function of multiple tissues, including a major role in gonadogenesis. Despite its crucial role, the molecular mechanisms that regulate Gata4 expression in vivo remain poorly understood. We recently found that the Gata4 gene is expressed as multiple transcripts with distinct 5'(More)
AIMS There is an increasing interest in single-item self-rated indicators of perceived health and control status in people with chronic illnesses such as diabetes. However, self-rated measures can be associated with indicators of psychological status. The aim of this paper is to explore the association of anxiety, depression, and diabetes distress with(More)
Current therapeutic strategies against Wilms' tumor (WT) reach 80% to 85% success rate. In spite of this, a remaining 15% to 20% of tumors relapse and are associated with increased metastasis and poor prognosis. To identify new regulators of WT progression, we screened for developmental target genes of Pax2, a key regulator of kidney development and a WT(More)
Cdx and Hox gene families encode homeodomain-containing transcription factors involved in anterior-posterior vertebral patterning. Although Cdx proteins are direct transcriptional regulators of Hox gene expression, both Hox and Cdx proteins are known to interact with other homeodomain transcription factors, leading us to speculate that Cdx and Hox proteins(More)