Luis Valiente

Learn More
Nonspecific inflammation is associated with primary graft nonfunction (PNF). Inflammatory islet damage is mediated at least partially by pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) produced by resident islet macrophages. The p38 pathway is known to be involved in cytokine production in the(More)
The activation of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) has been shown to cause ischemia/reperfusion injury of several organs used for transplantation and also to play a significant role in primary islet graft nonfunction. Activation of p38 MAPK may also occur during islet cryopreservation and thawing. In this study, a p38 MAPK inhibitor (p38IH) was(More)
BACKGROUND Assays for assessing human islet cell quality, which provide results before transplantation, would be beneficial to improve the outcomes for islet transplantation therapy. Parameters such as percent β-cell apoptosis and cell composition are found to vary markedly between different islet preparations and may serve as markers of islet quality. We(More)
The choice of enzyme blend is critical for successful islet isolation. Islet yield, viability, integrity, and function are important factors that influence the outcome of islet transplantation. Liberase HI has been used as a standard enzyme for pancreas digestion and has successfully produced islets that reversed diabetes. However, the replacement of(More)
UNLABELLED The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of elevated donor HbA1c levels (type 2 diabetes, T2D) on the islet yield and functionality postisolation. In this retrospective analysis, donors for islet isolations were classified into two groups: T2D group (HbA1c ≥ 6.5%, n = 18) and normal group (HbA1c < 6.5%, n = 308). Optimum pancreas(More)
BACKGROUND We evaluated three commercially available enzymes for pancreatic digestion by comparing key parameters during the islet isolation process, as well as islet quality post-isolation. METHODS Retrospectively compared and analyzed islet isolations from pancreata using three different enzyme groups: Liberase HI (n=63), Collagenase NB1/Neutral(More)
The supply of islet cells is a limiting factor for the widespread application of islet transplantation of type-1 diabetes. Islets constitute 1% to 2% of pancreatic tissue, leaving approximately 98% as discard after islet isolation and purification. In this report we present our data on the isolation of multipotent progenitor cells from discarded adult human(More)
OBJECTIVES Islet transplantation is hampered by the shortage of donor tissues. Our objective was to generate islet-like cell clusters (ICCs) from cultures of non-islet pancreatic cells. METHODS The starting cultured cells came from the non-islet fractions of human pancreases after enzymatic digestion and purification for the purpose of islet isolation.(More)
The development of an optimal islet cryopreservation method will permit transplantation of islets from multiple donors in a single procedure and contribute to alleviation of the islet shortage. In this study, we have improved human islet cryopreservation methods under serum-free conditions using an intracellular-based islet cryopreservation solution (ICS),(More)
Long-term pancreatic cold ischemia contributes to decreased islet number and viability after isolation and culture, leading to poor islet transplantation outcome in patients with type 1 diabetes. In this study, we examined mechanisms of pancreatic cold preservation and rewarming-induced injury by interrogating the proapoptotic gene BBC3/Bbc3, also known as(More)