Karthikeyan Rajagopal

Learn More
The use of tobacco products as dentrifice is prevalent in various parts of India. Among them toothpowder (dant manjan) is very common. These nicotine containing toothpastes/toothpowders are health hazards and is also habit forming. Health experts of India rightly banned use of nicotine containing toothpowder as early as 1992 by making proper legislation. We(More)
Cryopreservation preserves cells at low temperature and creates a reserve for future use while executing the clinical translation. Unlike articular chondrocyte, cryopreservation protocol and its outcome are not described in iliac apophyseal chondrocytes, a potential source of chondrocytes in cartilage engineering. This study for the first time describes the(More)
BACKGROUND Autologous articular cartilage at present forms the main source of chondrocytes for cartilage tissue engineering. In children, iliac apophysis is a rich and readily accessible source of chondrocytes. This study compares the growth characteristics and phenotype maintenance of goat iliac apophysis growth plate chondrocytes with those sourced from(More)
Two encapsulation techniques for rabbit chondrocytes in chitosan/hyaluronic acid gel have been compared. The standard technique involves the cross-linking of chitosan and hyaluronic acid at 2:1 (w/w). In the modified technique, cells were initially added to 33 % of hyaluronic acid dialdehyde and the gelation process was completed with the remaining 67 %.(More)
BACKGROUND & OBJECTIVES Human bone marrow is rich in various growth factors which may support the chondrocyte growth. This study was conducted to compare the culture characteristics of human growth plate chondrocyte in foetal bovine serum (FBS) and human autologous bone marrow extract (BME) in monolayer culture. METHODS Iliac crest apophyseal cartilage(More)
Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva (FOP) is a rare debilitating disorder characterized by congenital deformity of the great toes from infancy and postnatal heterotopic ossification. Activating mutations in the activin A receptor type 1 (ACVR1) gene are responsible for the disease. The most common allelic variant leading to FOP is c.617 G>A; p.R206H,(More)