Learn More
Spirituality and religious coping is an important and rapidly expanding field in recent years. For the Chinese, traditional Taoism may still have a strong impact on the mental health of Chinese people. Taoistic concepts of mental health stress the transcendence from self and secularity, the dynamic revertism of nature, integration with nature and the(More)
Work and employment has long been regarded as crucial for the mental health of human beings. Unemployment may lead to deterioration of physical and mental health. Nevertheless, for adults with psychiatric disabilities, discontinuity of employment is common. They may have various reasons to discontinue their employment. In Hong Kong, only 2.5% of people with(More)
Depression has long been a problem in our society. In this paper, the writer tries to contrast a disease orientation and a strengths perspective in helping an adolescent with depression. The strengths perspective advocates identifying needs and ability behind client's symptoms and deficits; nurturing individuals' positive mood and hope to recovery;(More)
Religious beliefs and superstitions have an important impact on the psychopathology of psychiatric patients. Traditional Chinese religious beliefs and superstitions, such as fortune telling, Buddhist gods, Taoist gods, historical heroic gods and ancestor worship, have important influence on subjective psychotic experiences, in particular delusions and(More)
Starting with Jaspers in 1910, subjective psychotic experiences of people with schizophrenia became an important area in treatment and rehabilitation of people with schizophrenia. Nevertheless, this area of study is overshadowed by the statistically and diagnostically oriented DSM movement. In this article, the writer tries to re-visit various approaches in(More)
Caregiving by relatives to a person with mental illness is demanding and overwhelming. This paper describes how to use guided imagery, role-playing, humor, and paradoxical intervention to help the wife of a man with mental illness in easing her worry, anxiety, and frustration engendered by caregiving. The intervention made the wife feel normal and relaxed(More)
BACKGROUND This paper is an attempt to describe the historical development of the mental health services in the PRC. RESEARCH METHODS An archive of related literature. FINDINGS The development of the mental health services in the PRC could be divided into several stages: the introduction of mental asylums by western missionaries before 1949;(More)
BACKGROUND Mutual-aid group and self-directed group are recognized as important interventions for anti-oppression of disadvantaged groups in our society. METHOD In this paper, the writer describes a mutual-aid group implemented in a psychiatric half-way house in Hong Kong. Members in this group were free to set their own agenda for discussion and to(More)
  • K S Yip
  • 1998
This paper is a historical review of mental health services in Hong Kong. The development of mental health services in Hong Kong can be roughly divided into several stages: the pre-asylum period (1841-1924), the asylum period (1925-1948), the organization period (1 948-1965), the initial rehabilitation period (1966-1973), the centralized rehabilitation(More)
Family caregiving is very important in psychiatric rehabilitation for people with mental illnesses. By reviewing related studies, the writer describes the situation of family caregivers for people with mental illnesses. Studies showed that only 16.8% of them received psychiatric rehabilitation services. The other 83.2% relied on their family caregivers as(More)