Author pages are created from data sourced from our academic publisher partnerships and public sources.
Flow of excitation within rat barrel cortex on striking a single vibrissa.
1. Extracellular spike recordings were made from single cells in various layers of barrel cortex in adult rats anesthetized with urethan. Response magnitude and latency differences to brief 1.14… Expand
Time course of experience-dependent synaptic potentiation and depression in barrel cortex of adolescent rats.
1. Plasticity could be induced in (S1) barrel cortex of adolescent rats by reducing the complement of vibrissae on one side of the muzzle to a single whisker for a period of 7, 20, or 60 days. The… Expand
Spatiotemporal convergence and divergence in the rat S1 “Barrel” cortex
The size and response magnitude of receptive fields were evaluated for cells in the rat cortical barrel‐field by using standard vibrissal deflections of 1.14°. Such stimuli fell within the plateau… Expand
Homeostatic plasticity mechanisms are required for juvenile, but not adult, ocular dominance plasticity
- Adam J Ranson, Claire E. J. Cheetham, K. Fox, F. Sengpiel
- Biology, Medicine
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
- 9 January 2012
Ocular dominance (OD) plasticity in the visual cortex is a classic model system for understanding developmental plasticity, but the visual cortex also shows plasticity in adulthood. Whether the… Expand
The role of NMDA receptors in information processing.
In this review, we have concentrated on the parallels between the cellular properties of the NMDA receptor and a variety of functional properties within sensory and motor systems. Of course, the NMDA… Expand
Upregulation of cAMP Response Element-Mediated Gene Expression during Experience-Dependent Plasticity in Adult Neocortex
Gene transcription is thought to be essential for memory consolidation and long-lasting changes in synaptic function. In particular, the signal transduction pathways that activate the transcription… Expand
Postsynaptic control of plasticity in developing somatosensory cortex
THE rearrangement of synaptic connections during normal and deprived development is thought to be controlled by correlations in afferent impulse activity1. A favoured model is based on postsynaptic… Expand
Experience‐dependent depression of vibrissae responses in adolescent rat barrel cortex
- S. Glazewski, M. Mckenna, M. Jacquin, K. Fox
- Psychology, Medicine
- The European journal of neuroscience
- 1 June 1998
A short period of vibrissae deprivation in an adolescent (≈ 1 month old) rat can lead to depression of the cortical response to stimulation of the regrown vibrissae. In a barrel column representing… Expand
Critical period for monocular deprivation in the cat visual cortex.
1. Cats were monocularly deprived for 3 mo starting at 8-9 mo, 12 mo, 15 mo, and several years of age. Single cells were recorded in both visual cortexes of each cat, and the ocular dominance and… Expand
A Comparison of Experience-Dependent Plasticity in the Visual and Somatosensory Systems
In the visual and somatosensory systems, maturation of neuronal circuits continues for days to weeks after sensory stimulation occurs. Deprivation of sensory input at various stages of development… Expand