Juhani Pirhonen

Learn More
In contrast to females, tench Tinca tinca (L.) males have large pelvic fins with a thickened and bent second fin ray. Males also produce notable ventral protuberances during breeding, but the function of these male ornaments is not known. Using wild-caught fish, we found that both the size of pelvic fins and ventral protuberance were dependent on body(More)
Feed intake, specific growth rate and changes in body composition were studied in juvenile (140-170 g) Baltic salmon, Salmo salar, reared at three temperatures (2, 4 and 6 °C) under continuous light conditions. Feed intake increased from 20.4 kJ kg-1 day-1 at 2 °C to 63.8 kJ kg-1 day-1 at 6 °C, and growth rate increased from 0.10% day-1 to 0.37% day-1 over(More)
Feed intake, specific growth rate and changes in body composition of age 1+ and 2+ Baltic salmon, Salmo salar L, were studied for fish held under constant temperature conditions. The 1+ fish (60 g) were reared for 6 weeks at 11, 15, 17, 19 or 23 °C and 2+ fish (250 g) were held at 15 °C. Feed intake of 1+ salmon increased from 176 kJ kg-1 day-1 at 11 °C to(More)
Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture (fish) and hydroponic cultivation of plants. This review examines fish welfare in relation to rearing water quality, fish feed and fish waste and faeces to develop a sustainable aquaponic system where the co-cultured organisms, fish, bacteria in biofilters and plants, should be considered holistically in all(More)
Parasites take their resources from hosts and thus directly reduce available resources for hosts' own body functions, such as growth and reproduction. Furthermore, parasite infections cause significant indirect costs to their hosts in terms of increased investments on immune defense. In this study, we investigated the impact of parasite infection on the(More)
Traditionally, fish meal and fish oil have been used as main sources of proteins and energy in the commercial fish feeds. Nowadays these ingredients have been partially substituted with materials of plant-origin (e.g. maize, wheat and soy) due to their more inexpensive price and easier availability. If contaminated plant material is used in the making of(More)
Fishmeal (FM) was substituted with soybean meal (Glycine max) (SBM) and bambaranut meal (Voandzeia subterranea) (BNM) in 10 experimental African catfish, Clarias gariepinus, diets. Feed formulation was designed using mixture model. The inclusion level of the three protein ingredients varied between 0% and 60%. Remaining 40% comprised of basal ingredients(More)
Anorexia is a common sign of bacterial and viral diseases and is thought to be a negative consequence of the disease process. However, this inappetence may be an active portion of the host defence system. We tested this idea by withdrawing food for 32 days from juvenile chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) during an Aeromonas salmonicida epizootic,(More)
  • 1