Joyce C. Niland

Learn More
PURPOSE To evaluate the incidence and associated risk factors of solid cancers after bone marrow transplantation (BMT). PATIENTS AND METHODS We analyzed 2,129 patients who had undergone BMT for hematologic malignancies at the City of Hope National Medical Center between 1976 and 1998. A retrospective cohort and nested case-control study design were used(More)
The International Prognostic Index (IPI) has been the basis for determining prognosis in patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) for the past 20 years. Using raw clinical data from the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) database collected during the rituximab era, we built an enhanced IPI with the goal of improving risk stratification.(More)
OBJECTIVE To determine the incidence, clinical course, and risk factors associated with the onset of chronic renal failure in sickle cell anemia and sickle C disease. DESIGN A prospective, 25-year longitudinal demographic and clinical cohort study. A matched case-control study was conducted to determine risk factors. PATIENTS A total of 725 patients(More)
The p53 tumor suppressor gene is inactivated in human tumors by several distinct mechanisms. The best characterized inactivation mechanisms are: (i) gene mutation; (ii) p53 protein association with viral proteins; (iii) p53 protein association with the MDM2 cellular oncoprotein. The MDM2 gene has been shown to be abnormally up-regulated in human tumors and(More)
BACKGROUND The objective of this study was to describe clinicopathologic features, patterns of recurrence, and survival according to breast cancer subtype with a focus on triple-negative tumors. METHODS In total, 15,204 women were evaluated who presented to National Comprehensive Cancer Network centers with stage I through III breast cancer between(More)
Sickle cell chronic lung disease (SCLD) is a prime contributor to mortality in young adult patients with sickle cell disease, especially those with sickle cell anemia (SS). Both perfusion and diffusion defects have been demonstrated, with generalized pulmonary fibrosis and disabling restrictive lung failure. We report 28 cases (25 SS, 1 S beta(0)(More)
Hepatic venoocclusive disease (HVOD) is a complication of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) and is a well-recognized dose-limiting toxicity of oral busulfan (Bu)-based preparative regimens. The unpredictable absorption of oral Bu from the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and hepatic first-pass effects have led to the development of an(More)
BACKGROUND Mediastinal lymph node dissection (MLND) is an integral component of complete resection for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). This study analyzed the National Comprehensive Cancer Network's (NCCN) NSCLC Database to compare the efficacy of MLND during lobectomy by video-assisted thoracoscopy surgery (VATS) and thoracotomy (open). METHODS The(More)
A group of 235 allogeneic marrow recipients were contacted at least one year following their BMT to obtain information on their quality of life; 212 (90%) agreed to participate in this survey. A total of 162 adults and 50 pediatric survivors were interviewed during clinic visits (5%) or over the telephone (95%). Changes in productive activity and marital(More)
We analyzed data on 612 patients who had undergone high-dose chemoradiotherapy (HDT) with autologous stem cell rescue for Hodgkin's disease (HD) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) at the City of Hope National Medical Center, to evaluate the incidence of therapy-related myelodysplasia (t-MDS) or therapy-related acute myeloid leukemia (t-AML) and associated(More)