Learn More
Acquired resistance has curtailed cancer survival since the dawn of the chemotherapy age more than half a century ago. Although the application of stem cell (SC) concepts to cancer captured the imagination of scientists for many years, only the last decade has yielded substantial evidence that cancer SCs (CSCs) contribute to chemotherapy resistance. Recent(More)
PURPOSE To investigate whether nuclear factor kappaB (NF-kappaB)/interleukin 6 (IL-6) was linked to docetaxel response in human prostate cancer cell lines, and whether inhibition of NF-kappaB sensitized tumor cells to docetaxel. We also aimed to correlate IL-6 (as a surrogate marker of NF-kappaB) and docetaxel response in hormone-independent prostate cancer(More)
Bladder cancer is the fifth most common human malignancy and the second most frequently diagnosed genitourinary tumor after prostate cancer. The majority of malignant tumors arising in the urinary bladder are urothelial carcinomas. Clinically, superficial bladder tumors (stages Ta and Tis) account for 75% to 85% of neoplasms, while the remaining 15% to 25%(More)
The cellular and molecular effects of the proteasome inhibitor bortezomib on breast cancer cells are as yet poorly characterized. Here, in a panel of six breast cancer cell lines, bortezomib reduced viability in a concentration-dependent, time-dependent, and cell line-dependent manner. Proteasome activity was relatively high in two of the three more(More)
Acquired resistance to Docetaxel precedes fatality in hormone-refractory prostate cancer (HRPC). However, strategies that target Docetaxel resistant cells remain elusive. Using in vitro and in vivo models, we identified a subpopulation of cells that survive Docetaxel exposure. This subpopulation lacks differentiation markers and HLA class I (HLAI) antigens,(More)
Elucidating the determinants of aggressiveness in lethal prostate cancer may stimulate therapeutic strategies that improve clinical outcomes. We used experimental models and clinical databases to identify GATA2 as a regulator of chemotherapy resistance and tumorigenicity in this context. Mechanistically, direct upregulation of the growth hormone IGF2(More)
Histone deacetylase inhibitors (HDACi) are a new class of anticancer agents that cause growth arrest, differentiation and/or apoptosis in many tumor cells. As acetylation regulates the activity of the anti-apoptotic transcription factor NF-kappaB, we investigated whether the proteasome inhibitor MG-132 would inhibit NF-kappaB activation and as a consequence(More)
miRNAs are small noncoding RNAs with critical roles in a large variety of biological processes such as development and tumorigenesis. miRNA expression profiling has been reported to be a powerful tool to classify tissue samples, including cancers, based on their developmental lineage. In this study, we have profiled the expression of miRNAs in bladder(More)
The TP63 gene, a member of the TP53 tumor suppressor gene family, can be expressed as at least six isoforms due to alternative promoter use and alternative splicing. The lack of p63 isoform-specific antibodies has limited the analysis of the biological significance of p63. We report a novel set of well-defined antibodies to examine p63 isoforms in mouse and(More)
OBJECTIVE It was the aim of this study to analyze the clinical value of the determination of serum S-100beta protein in high-risk melanoma patients. PATIENTS AND METHODS Patients were tested for serum S-100beta protein by luminoimmunometric assay after melanoma surgical excision, before starting interferon-alpha2b and every 3 months thereafter, until(More)