John W. Braasch

Learn More
Eighty-seven patients with neoplasm (57 cases), pancreatitis (28 cases), or benign biliary obstruction (2 cases) were treated with pyloric preserving pancreatectomy with two postoperative deaths, neither due to abdominal complications. About 50% of patients had delay in recovery of gastrointestinal function. Six and seven patients had clinically significant(More)
We report clinical features, surgical management, recurrences, and follow-up study of 12 patients with simple hepatic cyst, 11 patients with polycystic liver disease, and 19 patients with cystadenoma who were surgically treated over a 25-year period. The median age of patients was 48 years, and 37 women and 5 men were in the series. The most common(More)
OBJECTIVE To compare the experience and outcome in the management of hilar cholangiocarcinoma at one American and one Japanese medical center. SUMMARY BACKGROUND DATA Controversies surround the issues of extent of resection for hilar cholangiocarcinoma and whether the histopathology of such cancers are similar between patients treated in America and in(More)
Records of 11 patients undergoing biliary reconstruction after laparoscopic cholecystectomy are reviewed. Ductal injuries resulted from failure to define the anatomy of Calot's triangle. Risk factors include scarring, acute cholecystitis, and obesity. Presenting findings included anorexia, ileus, failure to thrive, pain, ascites, and jaundice. All patients(More)
One hundred nine patients operated on for bile duct carcinoma were reviewed. Herein, we reported 83 proximal duct tumors, 12 mid-duct tumors, and 14 distal third tumors. Resectability was 10 percent, 33 percent, and 100 percent, respectively, with an operative mortality of 0 percent, 25 percent, and 23 percent. The median survival time and 5 year survival(More)
Thirty patients with cystic disease of the bile ducts operated on between 1965 and 1985 were reviewed. Three patients (10%) had a synchronous adenocarcinoma, and in three patients (10%) a metachronous carcinoma developed for a total incidence of malignancy of 20%. All patients died within 1 year of the diagnosis of malignancy. Of 19 benign cysts available(More)
The records of 73 consecutive patients who underwent pancreatoduodenectomy for chronic pancreatitis between 1960 and 1985 were reviewed. The median size of the pancreatic duct was 5 mm. Two operative deaths (2.7%) occurred early in the series. Eighty-eight percent, 86%, and 79% of the patients had improvement in pain at six months, two years, and five(More)
Duodenal adenocarcinoma, a rare malignant lesion, is associated with a poor 5-year survival. Few series have addressed differences between resectable tumors of the proximal and distal duodenum. We reviewed records of 17 consecutive patients with adenocarcinoma of the duodenum who underwent resection: 10 had adenocarcinoma of the proximal duodenum, and seven(More)
In 31 adult patients with bile duct cysts seen at the Lahey Clinic (Burlington, Mass) during a 20-year period, the median age at time of initial therapy at Lahey Clinic was 34 years. Abdominal pain was the most common presenting symptom, followed by jaundice and fever. The 31 patients underwent a total of 86 biliary tract procedures, of which 37 were(More)