Learn More
The nucleotide sequence of an infectious clone of rice tungro bacilliform virus (RTBV) DNA has been determined. The circular genome has 8002 bp and one strand contains four open reading frames (ORFs). One ORF is potentially capable of encoding a protein of 24 kD (P24) and has no initiation (ATG) codon. The other three ORFs potentially encode proteins of 12(More)
The nucleotide sequence of the DNA of maize streak virus (MSV) has been determined. The data were accommodated into one DNA circle of 2687 nucleotides, in contrast to previously characterised geminiviruses which have been shown to possess two circles of DNA. Comparison of the nucleotide sequences of the DNA of MSV with those of cassava latent virus (CLV)(More)
The Geminiviridae is an extensive family of plant viruses responsible for economically devastating diseases in crops worldwide. Geminiviruses package circular, single-stranded DNA (ssDNA) genomes. The characteristic twinned or "geminate" particles, which consist of two joined, incomplete T = 1 icosahedra, are unique among viruses. We have determined the(More)
The 3' proximal portion of the gene encoding the 201-kDa putative replicase protein from the Tobravirus pea early browning virus (PEBV) can potentially be expressed separately as a 54-kDa protein. Nicotiana benthamiana plants transformed with the open reading frame (ORF) encoding the 54-kDa protein, designated 54K ORF, were resistant to infection by(More)
In nature, rice tungro disease is caused by an RNA and a DNA virus complex, but we have obtained an independently infectious clone of rice tungro bacilliform virus (RTBV) DNA. Infectivity could be demonstrated only when a more than unit-length copy was cloned in the Agrobacterium binary vector Bin 19 and agroinoculated into rice plants. Rice plants thus(More)
It has previously been reported that complementary-sense gene products of wheat dwarf virus (WDV), a geminivirus of the genus Mastrevirus that infects monocotyledonous plants, bind to human and maize retinoblastoma (Rb) protein. Rb proteins control cell-cycle progression by sequestering transcription factors required for entry into S-phase, suggesting that(More)
The geminiviruses are very small plant viruses with circular single-stranded DNA genomes. Recent advances have identified genes involved in replication, spread of virus or DNA in the plant, and insect transmission. Gene replacement experiments suggest that useful plant gene expression vectors can be constructed from these viruses.
The 3374 nucleotide sequence of RNA2 from the British PEBV strain SP5 has been determined. The RNA includes three open reading frames flanked by 5' and 3' noncoding regions of 509 and 480 nucleotides. The open reading frames specify coat protein, a 29.6K product homologous to the 29.1K product of TRV(TCM) RNA2 and a 23K product not homologous to any(More)
Insertion and deletion mutagenesis of the two virion-sense genes, V1 and V2, of maize streak virus (MSV) prevents symptomatic infections following Agrobacterium-mediated 'agroinoculation' of maize seedlings. These genes code for an Mr 10900 protein and for coat protein, respectively. Mutants containing insertions or deletions in the coat protein gene, V2,(More)
The single-stranded DNA geminiviruses produce transcripts from both strands (virion- and complementary-sense) of a nuclear double-stranded DNA molecule. In maize streak virus (MSV)-infected maize plants, approximately 80% of the complementary-sense transcripts produce the C1 protein, whilst the remaining 20% are spliced to remove a 92 nt intron and produce(More)