Janice L Audette

Learn More
Capillary basement membrane (CBM) thickening is an ultrastructural hallmark in diabetic patients and in animal models of diabetes. However, the wide variety of tissues sampled and diverse methods employed have made the interpretation of thickness data difficult. We showed previously that acellular glomerular BMs in OVE26 transgenic diabetic mice were(More)
At the level of ultrastructure, basement membranes (BMs) are usually described as thin layers of extracellular matrix comprised of an interwoven mat of fine 3-4 nm fibrils embedded in a granular matrix. In order to improve the resolution of the fibrillar components, we have carried out TEM studies on human glomerular BMs (GBMs) made acellular by sequential(More)
The diabetic-prone BioBreeding Wistar rat (BB/DP) is an autoimmune model of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Approximately 80-90% of the animals are hyperglycemic (BB/DP(h)) by 90-120 days of age while those that do not become diabetic in adolescence (BB/DP(n)) remain normoglycemic for life. Likewise, rats in the diabetes-resistant (BB/DR) strain are(More)
BACKGROUND Previous animal models of diabetic nephropathy have used diabetic animals for which the underlying defect was either uncertain or the diabetes was induced by potentially specific toxins. In this report, we describe the renal abnormalities in a transgenic mouse model that develops early-onset diabetes due to overexpression of calmodulin in(More)
Because of its relative availability, large size, and presumed similarity to human, the bovine retina has been used by numerous investigators as a source of vessels, cells, and basement membranes (BMs) for biochemical analyses and in vitro studies of cells and extracellular matrix. Careful morphological studies of these vessels and their associated BMs,(More)
The diabetic-prone BioBreeding Wistar (BB/DP) rat is an autoimmune model of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Approximately 90% of the animals (BB/DPh) are hyperglycemic by 90-120 days of age, while the remaining ~10% (BB/DPn) and diabetes-resistant rats (BB/DR) are normoglycemic for life. The transmission electron microscope data from this study(More)
  • 1