Learn More
OBJECTIVE Sudden hearing loss (SHL) is a frightening symptom that often prompts an urgent or emergent visit to a physician. This guideline provides evidence-based recommendations for the diagnosis, management, and follow-up of patients who present with SHL. The guideline primarily focuses on sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSNHL) in adult patients (aged(More)
At any age, disabling hearing impairment has a profound impact on interpersonal communication, psychosocial well-being, quality of life and economic independence. According to the World Health Organization's estimates, the number of people with such impairment increased from 42 million in 1985 to about 360 million in 2011. This last figure includes 7.5(More)
Most cases of sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SHL) are idiopathic. Consequently, the otologist may be asked to predict hearing recovery and select a treatment strategy without fully understanding the disease process. We retrospectively reviewed the charts of 837 patients with SHL to evaluate the prognostic value of specific clinical parameters and the(More)
Automobile airbag safety systems have successfully reduced the number of occupant injuries from motor vehicle accidents. Unfortunately, airbags are also associated with some inherent risk, including a high-amplitude, short-duration noise from airbag deployment. A review of the available research in the automobile industry indicates that the peak amplitude(More)
Fifty-nine unusual cerebello-pontine angle tumours have been studied. These lesions represent 19.3 per cent or 1 in 5 of a series of 305 cerebello-pontine angle tumours of which the rest, 246 (80.7 per cent), were acoustic neuromas. An analysis of the relative incidence, histology and presenting clinical features has been carried out. The various(More)
Patients with acoustic neuroma may have sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Most patients with sudden hearing loss seek medical attention promptly, but the diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma may be delayed for months or years because sudden hearing loss is an unusual initial symptom of an acoustic neuroma. In a retrospective review of 836 cases of sudden(More)
OBJECTIVES Phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE) inhibitors are a relatively new class of drugs introduced in 1998 for the treatment of erectile dysfunction and pulmonary artery hypertension. Recent concerns regarding these drugs and sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SSHL) have resulted in an FDA requirement for more stringent labeling. In this report, we further(More)
Most cases of sudden sensorineural hearing loss (SHL) remain idiopathic, and the majority are unilateral. From 1989 to 1993, 823 patients with sudden SHL were evaluated. Of these, 14 (1.7%) had sudden bilateral SHL. We reviewed the charts of these 14 patients to compare sudden bilateral SHL with sudden unilateral SHL. Usually, bilateral SHL was asymmetric.(More)
BACKGROUND The use of intratympanic (IT) steroids for the treatment of inner ear disorders is promising, but the clinical challenges of prolonged middle ear drug application have proven burdensome, and a sustainable delivery system is yet to be developed. METHOD In this study, a guinea pig model was used to determine if dexamethasone in combination with a(More)