Learn More
BACKGROUND The association between head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC) and allelic variants of glutathione S-transferase M1 (GSTM1) and -T1 (GSTT1) is currently controversial. The present study investigates the prevalences of GSTT1 and GSTM1 polymorphism in a cohort of 100 head and neck cancer patients, 100 healthy donors and 200 controls with(More)
PURPOSE This study was designed to add new data about laryngeal carcinogenesis, a multistep process in which chemical and/or viral agents induce and promote successive alterations in growth factor-linked signal transmission pathways, genetic instability, and mutations in key genes involved in cell growth control. Epidemiological evidence suggests that human(More)
OBJECTIVES We assess the association between the presence of biofilms and cilial damage in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS), describe the microorganisms associated with samples that exhibited cilial loss and biofilms, and demonstrate the absence of ciliary injury and biofilms in similarly prepared "normal" controls. METHODS We examined samples(More)
A total of 39 patients with bilateral post-thyroidectomy vocal cord paralysis in adduction underwent CO2 laser subtotal arytenoidectomies with removal of the posterior third of the false and true vocal cords. Total airway resistance (R tot) evaluated before and 4–10 months after surgery showed marked preoperative impairment before and significant(More)
Head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs) seem to follow a multistep process of carcinogenesis in which chemical and/or viral agents are associated with specific genetic alterations. The prevalence of human papillomavirus (HPV) infection and the amplification of the cyclin D1 (CCND1) gene were evaluated in a series of 75 laryngeal SCCs by PCR with HPV(More)
We adapted an immunoblotting technique for the immunochemical characterization of cryoglobulins. We first compared the results from 157 samples with results obtained by immunofixation and immunoelectrophoresis and then with clinical observations in 125 cases. Full identification was possible in 98% of the cases by immunoblotting, in 54% by immunofixation,(More)
BACKGROUND Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection is suspected to be a risk factor for head and neck, and in particular for laryngeal, carcinogenesis. Cyclin D1 gene (CCND1) overexpression and amplification have been shown to play a role as prognostic factors in many human cancers, among which are head and neck cancers. METHODS A literature review of the(More)
We investigated by immunocytochemistry the expression of the Ca(2+) binding protein S100A2 in 62 cases of laryngeal squamous-cell carcinoma (SCC). S100A2 was detected in 18/19 (95%) low-grade tumors and in 22/43 (51%) high-grade tumors, which were partially keratinizing. The remaining 21/43 (49%) high-grade tumors were non-keratinizing, anaplastic tumors(More)
BACKGROUND Human papillomavirus 16 infection has been proven to be associated with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs) and is probably the main reason of the reported increase in the incidence. The role of high-risk (HR) HPV for carcinogenesis of other sites in the head and neck awaits confirmation. With the aim to evaluate the prevalence of HPV(More)
The cyclin D1 (CCND1) gene is amplified, rearranged, and overexpressed frequently in human cancer, including squamous cell carcinoma. The gene dosage of CCND1 was examined in 51 primary laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas, and amplification of the gene was found in 9 (17.6%) cases. CCND1 amplification did not correlate with age, tumor localization and(More)