Leptin modulates the T-cell immune response and reverses starvation-induced immunosuppression
- Graham M Lord, G. Matarese, J. K. Howard, R. Baker, S. Bloom, R. Lechler
- Biology, MedicineNature
- 27 August 1998
It is reported here that leptin has a specific effect on T-lymphocyte responses, differentially regulating the proliferation of naive and memory T cells, and suggesting a new role for leptin in linking nutritional status to cognate cellular immune function.
Leptin protects mice from starvation-induced lymphoid atrophy and increases thymic cellularity in ob/ob mice.
- J. K. Howard, Graham M Lord, S. Bloom
- BiologyJournal of Clinical Investigation
- 15 October 1999
Prevention of the fasting-induced fall in the level of the adipocyte-derived hormone leptin by administering exogenous recombinant leptin protected mice from these starvation-induced thymic changes, and reduced circulating leptin concentrations are pivotal in the pathogenesis of starvation- induced lymphoid atrophy.
Enhanced leptin sensitivity and attenuation of diet-induced obesity in mice with haploinsufficiency of Socs3
- J. K. Howard, Belinda J. Cave, L. Oksanen, Iphigenia Tzameli, Christian Bjørbæk, J. Flier
- BiologyNature Network Boston
- 1 July 2004
It is reported here that Socs3+/− mice display greater leptin sensitivity than wild-type control mice and are significantly protected against the development of diet-induced obesity and associated metabolic complications.
The Transcription Factor T-bet Regulates Intestinal Inflammation Mediated by Interleukin-7 Receptor+ Innate Lymphoid Cells
- N. Powell, A. Walker, Graham M Lord
- Biology, MedicineImmunity
- 19 October 2012
Attenuation of leptin and insulin signaling by SOCS proteins
- J. K. Howard, J. Flier
- Biology, MedicineTrends in endocrinology and metabolism
- 1 November 2006
Absence of CC Chemokine Ligand 2 Does Not Limit Obesity-Associated Infiltration of Macrophages Into Adipose Tissue
It is concluded that CCL2 is not critical for adipose tissue macrophage recruitment, and the dominant factor for recruiting macrophages in adipOSE tissue during obesity remains to be identified.
Enhanced leptin sensitivity and improved glucose homeostasis in mice lacking suppressor of cytokine signaling-3 in POMC-expressing cells.
- P. Kievit, J. K. Howard, J. Flier
- Biology, MedicineCell Metabolism
- 1 August 2006
Requirement for Leptin in the Induction and Progression of Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis1
- G. Matarese, A. Di Giacomo, S. Fontana
- Biology, MedicineJournal of Immunology
- 15 May 2001
It is suggested that leptin is required for the induction and maintenance of an effective proinflammatory immune response in the CNS and may provide a key link between nutritional deficiency and immune dysfunction.
Fermentable carbohydrate stimulates FFAR2-dependent colonic PYY cell expansion to increase satiety
- Lucy Brooks, A. Viardot, G. Bewick
- Biology, MedicineMolecular Metabolism
- 4 November 2016
Increased leptin levels in serum and peritoneal fluid of patients with pelvic endometriosis.
- G. Matarese, C. Alviggi, G. de Placido
- Medicine, BiologyJournal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism
- 1 July 2000
Higher levels of leptin were observed in the earlier stages of endometriosis than advanced-stage disease, and data suggest that the proinflammatory and neoangiogenic actions of leptin may contribute to the pathogenesis of endometricriosis.