Ivan M House

Learn More
Two men aged 19 and 21 years ingested 1 g and 4 g respectively from 3 kg of a white crystalline powder that they thought was a substance of abuse. It was later identified as almost pure arsenic trioxide. Both had nausea and vomiting and one developed acute renal failure. Each was treated with 2,3-dimercaptopropanesulphonate (DMPS), and made a full recovery(More)
Investigation of copper status can be a diagnostic challenge. The non-caeruloplasmin-bound copper (NCC) has deficiencies; accordingly, the copper:caeruloplasmin ratio has been suggested as an alternative index of copper status. A reference interval for this index was derived. In addition to making the interpretation of copper easier, the(More)
BACKGROUND An investigation on copper metabolism usually includes the measurement of serum levels of copper and caeruloplasmin. Using these levels, some laboratories derive levels of non-caeruloplasmin-bound copper (NCC); however, a considerable number of patients may show negative values, which is not physiologically possible. AIM To derive an equation(More)
INTRODUCTION Inorganic mercury poisoning is uncommon, but when it occurs it can result in severe, life-threatening features and acute renal failure. Previous reports on the use of extracorporeal procedures such as haemodialysis and haemoperfusion have shown no significant removal of mercury. We report here the successful use of the chelating agent(More)
The National Poisons Unit, London, carried out a pilot survey to investigate the frequency and severity of adverse effects/toxicity from exposure to traditional medicines and food supplements reported to the Unit. Enquiries related to suspected poisoning events were reviewed retrospectively from January 1983 to March 1989, and prospectively in 1991. Further(More)
BACKGROUND The aim of this paper is to describe an incident where elemental mercury led to widespread contamination and the exposure of 225 individuals and confirmed toxicity in 19 individuals. The paper describes the incident and difficulties found in trying to assess the risk to individuals and to identify and decontaminate the residences involved. (More)
Thallium is a heavy metal whose salts are used in some rodent poisons and in the manufacture of optical lenses, semiconductors, scintillation counters, low temperature thermometers, and switching devices, green coloured fireworks, and imitation jewelery, and as chemical catalysts. In clinical practice thallium isotopes are used in cardiac scanning, but the(More)
Severe acute thallium poisoning in a young man is described. He presented with transient loss of consciousness and paraesthesiae of finger tips and lips, with a blood thallium concentration of 5750 micrograms/l (levels above 200 micrograms/l are toxic). He rapidly lost limb sensation and power and later required temporary mechanical ventilation and(More)