Learn More
A simple new agar medium containing L-canavanine, glycine, and bromthymol blue was found to give a clearer and more accurate distinction between serotype A or D (Cryptococcus neoformans var. neoformans) and serotype B or C (C. neoformans var. gattii) than creatinine-dextrose-bromthymol blue or glycine-cycloheximide-phenol red media. Among 143 isolates of(More)
Phylogenetic analysis of 11 genetic loci and results from many genotyping studies revealed significant genetic diversity with the pathogenic Cryptococcus gattii/Cryptococcus neoformans species complex. Genealogical concordance, coalescence-based, and species tree approaches supported the presence of distinct and concordant lineages within the complex.(More)
All of the isolates of Cryptococcus neoformans var. gattii which we tested were resistant to greater than or equal to 3.5 mM canavanine. All of the serotype D isolates and 28% of the serotype A isolates of C. neoformans var. neoformans tested were susceptible to less than or equal to 18 microM canavanine, whereas the remaining 72% of the serotype A isolates(More)
Trichosporon asahii (Trichosporon beigelii) infections are rare but have been associated with a wide spectrum of clinical manifestations, ranging from superficial involvement in immunocompetent individuals to severe systemic disease in immunocompromised patients. We report on the recent recovery of T. asahii isolates with reduced susceptibility in vitro to(More)
A double mutant of Cryptococcus neoformans which lacked the ability to produce melanin (Mel-) on media containing diphenols and failed to grow at 37 degrees C (temperature sensitive, Tem-) was obtained by UV irradiation and subsequent cloning. The mutant showed two lesions in melanogenesis in that it lacked the active transport system for diphenolic(More)
Over the past two decades, several fungal outbreaks have occurred, including the high-profile 'Vancouver Island' and 'Pacific Northwest' outbreaks, caused by Cryptococcus gattii, which has affected hundreds of otherwise healthy humans and animals. Over the same time period, C. gattii was the cause of several additional case clusters at localities outside of(More)
Cryptococcus neoformans isolates that exhibited unusual patterns of resistance to fluconazole and voriconazole were isolated from seven isolates from two different geographical regions: one isolate from an Israeli non-AIDS patient and six serial isolates from an Italian AIDS patient who had suffered six recurrent episodes of cryptococcal meningitis. Each(More)
Scytalidium dimidiatum, a dematiaceous fungus, has been well established as an agent of dermatomycosis. There are few reports of invasive infection caused by S. dimidiatum; most infections occurred in immunocompromised hosts. We present an immunocompetent patient with pleural S. dimidiatum infection and review nine other published cases of invasive S.(More)
Candida dubliniensis is a recently discovered yeast species principally associated with carriage and disease in the oral cavities of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected individuals. To date the majority of isolates of this species have been identified in Europe and North America. In this study, five Candida isolates recovered from separate(More)