Hua Chang Hong

Learn More
The Dongjiang River is the major source of drinking water supply for Hong Kong. The deterioration of the water quality of the Dongjiang River and excessive trihalomethanes (THMs) in the tap water of some districts in Hong Kong have become causes for public concern. The main objective of the present study is to investigate and model THM formation due to the(More)
Twenty amino acids were chlorinated and examined for the formation of trihalomethane (THM) and haloacetic acid (HAA). The amino acids exhibited a high Cl(2) demand (3.4-10 mg Cl(2) mg(-1) C) but low THM formation (<4.19 microg mg(-1) C) except for tryptophan and tyrosine (45.8 - 147 microg mg(-1) C). Large variation in HAA yield occurred among the amino(More)
The major objective of the present study was to investigate the contribution of major biomolecules, including protein, carbohydrates and lipids, in predicting DBPs formation upon chlorination of algal cells. Three model compounds, including bovine serum albumin (BSA), starch and fish oil, as surrogates of algal-derived proteins, carbohydrates and lipids,(More)
Pentachlorophenol (PCP) was investigated in freshwater sediments and human breast milk collected from the Pearl River Delta, China. The average level of PCP in river sediments was 7.93 ng/g based on dry weight, ranging from 1.44 to 34.4 ng/g. As to the sediments from fishponds, samples from Zhongshan had the highest PCP levels (37.5 ng/g on average),(More)
Cells and proteins of Chlamydomonas sp. (a common green alga in local reservoirs) were separated by ultrafiltration respectively into 3 fractions with variable molecular weights (MW: >100, 10-3 and <3 kDa). After chlorination (20°C, pH 7, Cl(2)/DOC ratio of 20 mg Cl(2)mg(-1), 120 h), levels of disinfection by-products (DBPs) and mutagenicity (via Salmonella(More)
Present study investigated physiological and biochemical changes in a green alga culture (Chlorella pyrenoidosa) upon exposure to varied concentrations of pentachlorophenol (PCP) (0, 0.4 mgL(-1), 2.5 mgL(-1) and 10 mgL(-1)). The results revealed that with the increase of PCP concentration, a decrease of the algal biomass, levels of photosynthetic pigments(More)
The Dongjiang River is the major source of the drinking water supply for Hong Kong and also other parts of the Pearl River Delta in China, and the deterioration in the water quality of this river and the excessive levels of trihalomethanes (THMs) in the tap water of some districts in Hong Kong have become a matter of public concern. The main objective of(More)
The main objective of this study was to investigate occurrence of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the sources of the drinking water supply of Hong Kong. The main emphasis was on the Dongjiang River in mainland China which is the major source, supplying 80% of the total consumption in Hong Kong (the remaining 20% is obtained from rain water).(More)
  • 1