Learn More
BACKGROUND Decision aids prepare people to participate in decisions that involve weighing benefits, harms, and scientific uncertainty. OBJECTIVES To evaluate the effectiveness of decision aids for people facing treatment or screening decisions. SEARCH STRATEGY For this update, we searched from January 2006 to December 2009 in MEDLINE (Ovid); Cochrane(More)
OBJECTIVE To develop a set of quality criteria for patient decision support technologies (decision aids). DESIGN AND SETTING Two stage web based Delphi process using online rating process to enable international collaboration. PARTICIPANTS Individuals from four stakeholder groups (researchers, practitioners, patients, policy makers) representing 14(More)
OBJECTIVE To conduct a systematic review of randomised trials of patient decision aids in improving decision making and outcomes. DESIGN We included randomised trials of interventions providing structured, detailed, and specific information on treatment or screening options and outcomes to aid decision making. Two reviewers independently screened and(More)
OBJECTIVE To describe the extent to which patient decision aids (PtDAs) meet effectiveness standards of the International Patient Decision Aids Collaboration (IPDAS). DATA SOURCES Five electronic databases (to July 2006) and personal contacts (to December 2006). RESULTS Among 55 randomized controlled trials, 38 (69%) used at least 1 measure that mapped(More)
Patients who agree and those who refuse clinical trial entry may differ in attitudes towards decision control and the benefits associated with the trial arms. These differences, if they exist, have implications for the process of obtaining informed consent and for the generalization of the results of a clinical trial. This paper describes the development(More)
The relationship between cancer patients' desire for information and their preference for participation in decision making has been examined. Approximately 77% of the 52 patients reported that they had participated in decision making to the extent that they wished, while most of the remaining 23% would have preferred an opportunity to have greater input.(More)
Preference-sensitive treatment decisions involve making value trade-offs between benefits and harms that should depend on informed patient choice. There is strong evidence that patient decision aids not only improve decision quality but also prevent the overuse of options that informed patients do not value. This paper discusses progress in implementing(More)
PURPOSE To evaluate the effect of a standardized group psychosocial intervention on health-related quality of life (HrQOL) in women with metastatic breast cancer and to explore the effect of missing data in HrQOL analyses. PATIENTS AND METHODS Between 1993 and 1998, seven Canadian centers randomly assigned 235 eligible women to participate in a weekly,(More)
The standard gamble, derived from decision theory, is considered a criterion method for obtaining patients' values for different health states. In this method, a rater's value for a health state is obtained by determining, in a hypothetical setting, his readiness to remain in that state or take a risky choice with different outcomes of known value.(More)
One of the central problems in studies of patient satisfaction with health care is the development of reliable and valid methods to determine the relative importance of different aspects of health care. Two techniques, paired comparisons and rating on a visual analogue scale, were compared in terms of their consistency with logical assumptions, test-retest(More)