Hideo P. Oka

Learn More
A 60-year-old woman presented with a subcutaneous mass on her scalp. Computed tomography (CT) showed a homogeneously enhanced mass of the parietal bone with both intra- and extra-calvarial extension and having destroyed the right parietal bone. The mass was hypointense on the T1-weighted magnetic resonance image, slightly hyperintense on the T2-weighted(More)
The occurrence, distribution, and biological characteristics of non-native freshwater eels were analyzed using 5524 eels collected from 16 sites in Japan between 1997 and 2005. Three hundred seventy-four fishes (6.8%) were identified as non-native European eels, Anguilla anguilla, while the remainder (93.2%) were native Japanese eels, A. japonica. The(More)
The study aimed to clarify associations between height loss, bone loss and the quality of life (QOL) score among general inhabitants of Miyama, a rural Japanese community. This population-based epidemiological study was conducted in Miyama, a village located in a mountain area in Wakayama Prefecture, Japan. A list of all inhabitants comprising 1,543(More)
This study examined whether physical performance and bone and joint diseases were risk factors for falls in 745 men and 1,470 women from the Research on Osteoarthritis/osteoporosis Against Disability (ROAD) study (mean, 69.7 years). Slower walking speed was a risk factor for falls in men and women. Knee pain was a risk factor for falls in women. The(More)
¶Medulloblastoma may can be difficult to distinguish from atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor (AT/RT), since they resemble each other histologically. We re-examined whether AT/RT was included among cases who had been diagnosed as medulloblastoma. All of fifteen medulloblastomas (10 males and 5 females) diagnosed at the Kitasato University Hospital were(More)
In a 10-year follow-up of a population-based cohort of Japanese subjects, incidences of and causal relationships between osteoporosis (OP) and osteoarthritis (OA) at the lumbar spine were clarified. OP might reduce the risk of subsequent OA at the spine in women, but not in men. The aim of this study is to clarify the contribution of osteoarthritis (OA) to(More)
Assessments of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in 1,683 Japanese from a population-based cohort revealed prevalences of vitamin D insufficiency and deficiency were 81.3 and 1.2 %, respectively. Vitamin D deficiency was significantly associated with female sex, examined month, current smoking, lack of regular walking, higher intact parathyroid hormone(More)
The present cross-sectional study investigated the prevalence of sarcopenia and clarified its associated factors in 1,000 elderly participants of Japanese population-based cohorts. Exercise habit in middle age was associated with low prevalence of sarcopenia in older age, suggesting that it is a protective factor against sarcopenia in older age. The present(More)
The ecological characteristics of 597 yellow and silver-stage Japanese eels, Anguilla japonica, were examined and compared among collection sites located at three different latitudes of Japan (Amakusa Islands, Mikawa Bay, and Sanriku Coast) to provide basic data on this unusual catadromous fish species. Eels were sexed and their total length, body weight,(More)
A pituitary tumour composed of well-differentiated corticotrophs and adrenocortical cells is reported. Sections of the tumour revealed a mixture of small round cells with amphophilic or basophilic periodic acid-Schiff (PAS)-positive cytoplasm and large spherical and oval cells with abundant, granular, partly vacuolated PAS-negative cytoplasm. The small(More)