Guillermo Vazquez Mata

Learn More
Development and validation of quality of life questionnaire for critical care patients. Prospective study. Intensive care unit (ICU) of a general hospital and ICUs of 83 Spanish hospitals. Patients admitted to the ICU>18 years of age; close family members. A committee of experts designed a questionnaire with characteristics judged essential for intensive(More)
Every country has finite resources that are expended to provide citizens with social "goods," including education, protection, infrastructure, and health care. Rationing-of any resource-refers to distribution of an allotted amount and may involve withholding some goods that would benefit some citizens. Health-care rationing is controversial because good(More)
The use of extrinsic positive end expiratory pressure (PEEPe) in patients with auto-PEEP (AP) can reduce the respiratory work during weaning from mechanical ventilation. However, the application of PEEPe produce a certain level of hyperinflation, an undesirable effect which can limit the efficacy of the reduction of respiratory work. The objective of the(More)
To present the efficacy of thrombolytic treatment in place of emergency surgery in massive thrombosis of prosthetic cardiac valves (TPCV), and to set out the diagnostic criteria and the patients' evolution. Retrospective study Coronary Care Unit of a Spanish reference hospital. 7 patients admitted into the ICU with 10 episodes of TPCV and with advanced(More)
acute renal failure, as defined by Anderson et al. [4]. Fifteen patients (mean age 53 _+ 19 years) were considered to be oliguric (urine ouput < 400 ml/24 hr) whereas the remaining 13 (mean age 60 + 10 years) were considered to be nonoliguric (urine output > 600 ml/24 hr). All of the 28 patients were critically ill, 21 requiring ventilatory assistance (10(More)
RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN COLONIZATION SEQUENCE FROM OROPIIARYNX AND NOSOCOMIAL PULMONARY INFECTION IN PATIENTS RECEIVING MECHANICAL VENTILATION. FJ de Latorre, T Pont, A Ferr6", M Palomar, J Rosse116•", A Pahissa'" . Objective: To study the colonization sequences (CS) initiating in stomach (CSS), trachea (CST) or oropharynx (CSOF) and their influence on(More)
Gentamicin therapy was monitored in 30 patients with severe infection and other concomitant disease states. The application of the nomogram of Hull and Sarubbi [6] produced good plasma levels and disappearance of the infective agent without evidence of drug toxicity in 70% of patients. The remaining 30% did not respond satisfactorily to the treatment and(More)
The use of extrinsic PEEP (PEEPe) in patients with auto-PEEP (AP) can reduce the respiratory work during weaning from mechanical ventilation. However, the application of PEEPe can produce a certain level of hyperinflation, an undesirable effect which can limit the efficacy of the reduction of respiratory work. The objective of the present study has been to(More)
The need for planning and development of statewide trauma prevention and trauma service systems is or should be a high priority--if one sets priorities on criteria that address important factors such as cost to benefits in reduction of life years lost and reduction of disability and costs of long-term rehab services, etc. Prevention of injury and first(More)