Guido P. H. Band

Learn More
The error negativity (Ne/ERN) and error positivity (Pe) are two components of the event-related brain potential (ERP) that are associated with action monitoring and error detection. To investigate the relation between error processing and conscious self-monitoring of behavior, the present experiment examined whether an Ne and Pe are observed after response(More)
In the stop-signal paradigm, subjects perform a standard two-choice reaction task in which, occasionally and unpredictably, a stop-signal is presented requiring the inhibition of the response to the choice signal. The stop-signal paradigm has been successfully applied to assess the ability to inhibit under a wide range of experimental conditions and in(More)
The anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) is a critical component of the human mediofrontal neural circuit that monitors ongoing processing in the cognitive system for signs of erroneous outcomes. Here, we show that the consumption of alcohol in moderate doses induces a significant deterioration of the ability to detect the activation of erroneous responses as(More)
A mental-rotation task was presented to young (18-28 years) and old (60-76 years) adults to simultaneously assess age-related changes in performance, response monitoring and adaptive behavior. Relative to young participants, older adults were less inclined to adjust their speed at the expense of accuracy. They displayed a larger number of slow errors,(More)
The primary aim of this study was to examine how response inhibition is reflected in components of the event-related potential (ERP), using the stop-signal paradigm as a tool to manipulate response inhibition processes. Stop signals elicited a sequence of N2/P3 components that partly overlapped with ERP components elicited by the reaction stimulus. N2/P3(More)
The conflict-adaptation effect has been observed in several executive-control tasks and is thought to reflect an increase in control, driven by experienced conflict. We hypothesized that if this adaptation originates from the aversive quality of conflict, it would be canceled out by a positive, rewarding event. Subjects performed an arrow flanker task with(More)
Goal-directed action presupposes the previous integration of actions and their perceptual consequences (action-effect binding). One function of action-effect bindings is to select actions by anticipating their consequences. Another, not yet well understood function is the prediction of action-contingent feedback. We used a probabilistic learning task and(More)
The present study investigated the mechanisms underlying reductions in the susceptibility to interference from irrelevant information that are evident in the developing child. In the first experiment, where the task was to focus on one stimulus dimension and to ignore a second dimension, variations in the degree of spatial integration in multidimensional(More)
This study investigated how the speed-accuracy balance is modulated by changes in the time course of motor activation and inhibition of a primed response. Responses and event-related brain potentials were recorded in a paradigm in which the first stimulus indicated the correct response with 80% validity. The remaining 20% of the trials required no response(More)
When children grow older they respond faster and are less susceptible to interference caused by task-irrelevant information. These observations suggested the hypothesis that a global mechanism may account for developmental change in the speed of responding and that inhibitory function may underlie the ability to activate speeded responses. The current study(More)