Giovanni Sacchi

Learn More
Adriamycin has been suspected of causing experimental nephrotoxicity. We report here that adriamycin induces a nephrotic syndrome in rats, proteinuria beginning 4 to 5 days after a single intravenous injection (7.5 mg. per kg. of body weight). The full expression of the syndrome develops 13 to 15 days later. Minimal alterations at light microscopy, negative(More)
The frequency of renal vascular lesions (RVL) and their relevance in the progression of renal damage were evaluated by the Pathology Group of the "Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio della Nefrite Lupica" (GISNEL). Of 285 patients with lupus nephritis collected from 20 nephrology centers in Italy and classified according to World Health Organization (WHO)(More)
Infection with verotoxin-producing Escherichia coli has been implicated in the cause of hemolytic-uremic syndrome. Cases of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and verotoxin infections have been also described. In this study we sought to determine the following: (1) whether verotoxin induces microvascular lesions in the rabbit, (2) the organ distribution of(More)
Hepatoid adenocarcinoma of the stomach is an uncommon gastric tumor. A throughout search of the literature revealed only 86 cases: the first case was reported by Bourreille et al in 1970. We describe a patient with primary gastric adenocarcinoma with high serum alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) levels (7000 ng/ml). Histologically foci strongly resembling(More)
To evaluate long-term effect of sustained proteinuria induced by a single injection of adriamycin (ADR) on occurrence of focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSG), we treated 50 Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats, weighing 250 g with 5 mg/kg body weight of ADR. After six months of heavy proteinuria, 40% of ADR-treated rats did not develop FSG. In the remaining 60% of(More)
The peritoneal histology of 224 peritoneal dialysis (PD) patients without sclerosing peritonitis (SP) and of 39 PD patients with SP was evaluated. Of the 224 patients, 180 showed simple sclerosis (SS). In these subjects, slight thickness of sclerosis (10 - 70 microm), slight parvicellular infiltration (5/180), slight arterial thickening with no vessel(More)
Cytochemical differentiation between blood and lymphatic endothelium has been studied only in microvessels; 5'-nucleotidase (5'Nase) has been reported to be specific for lymphatic and alkaline phosphatase (ALPase) for blood endothelium. Adenylate and guanylate cyclase (AC and GC) have recently been proposed as lymphatic endothelial markers, but conflicting(More)
Initial lymphatic vessel endothelial cells are connected to the surrounding elastic fibers by fibrillin anchoring filaments that have been hypothesized to favor interstitial fluid drainage in edema pulling apart interendothelial junctions. We hypothesized a biochemical mechanism involving mechanotransduction. This study was designed to verify whether a(More)
Only topographic and distributional data are available on the lymphatic outflow vessels of the human heart. Here we describe their structural and ultrastructural features. Fragments of the atria, ventricles and fat surrounding the major coronary branches were obtained from hearts of dilated cardiomyopathy patients. Serial semithin sections were observed(More)
In the lymphatic vessels of man and most animals the nerve fibers are confined to the adventitia. However, immunohistochemical studies suggest that acetylcholinesterase-positive and monoamine-containing fibers reach as far as the endothelium in bovines. The aim of this study was to verify the presence of subendothelial nerve fibers by transmission electron(More)