Author pages are created from data sourced from our academic publisher partnerships and public sources.
Share This Author
Ecosystem response of pasture soil communities to fumigation-induced microbial diversity reductions: an examination of the biodiversity-ecosystem function relationship
Although fumigation reduced soil microbial biodiversity, there was evidence to suggest that it selected for organisms with particular physiological characteristics, and specific functional parameters may be a more sensitive indicator of environmental change than general parameters. Expand
Notes on protozoa in agricultural soil with emphasis on heterotrophic flagellates and naked amoebae and their ecology.
Investigations of heterotrophic flagellates and naked amoebae indicate that they play an important role in agricultural soils as bacterial consumers, and to a minor extent as consumers of fungi. Expand
Method for Spiking Soil Samples with Organic Compounds
- U. C. Brinch, F. Ekelund, C. Jacobsen
- Medicine, Chemistry
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- 1 April 2002
In order to minimize solvent effects on indigenous soil microorganisms when spiking native soil samples with compounds having a low water solubility, a common protocol is proposed in which the contaminant dissolved in acetone is added to 25% of the soil sample, followed by evaporation of the solvent and mixing with the remaining 75% ofThe soil sample. Expand
An examination of the biodiversity-ecosystem function relationship in arable soil microbial communities
The biodiversity of, and inter-relationships within, the microbial communities was such that the experimental reductions had no direct effects on soil function. Expand
Ribosomal RNA genes challenge the monophyly of the Hyalospheniidae (Amoebozoa: Arcellinida).
The data support the validity of morphological characters used to define species among the Hyalospheniidae and even suggest that taxa described as varieties may deserve the rank of species (e.g. N. penardiana var. minor). Expand
Distribution with depth of protozoa, bacteria and fungi in soil profiles from three Danish forest sites
The results suggest that protozoa are good indicators of organic pollution in subsurface soils; however, more work involving the comparison of polluted and unpolluted soils is needed to confirm this suggestion. Expand
Groundwater chemistry determines the prokaryotic community structure of waterworks sand filters.
- C. Albers, L. Ellegaard-Jensen, +4 authors J. Aamand
- Biology, Medicine
- Environmental science & technology
- 7 January 2015
The prokaryotic community structures of 11 waterworks receiving groundwater from different geological settings are determined by 16S rRNA gene-based 454 pyrosequencing and their relationships to filtration technology and raw water chemistry are explored. Expand
Soil microbial toxicity of eight polycyclic aromatic compounds: effects on nitrification, the genetic diversity of bacteria, and the total number of protozoans.
- L. Sverdrup, F. Ekelund, P. Krogh, T. Nielsen, K. Johnsen
- Chemistry, Medicine
- Environmental toxicology and chemistry
- 1 August 2002
For effects on nitrification, toxicity (NOEC values) expressed as soil pore-water concentrations (log10(micromol/L)) showed a significant inverse relationship with lipophilicity (log octanol-water partition coefficient) of the substances (r2 = 0.69, p =0.011), which could indicate that the toxicity of substances similar to those tested might be predicted by a quantitative structure-activity relationship with LipophILicity as the predictor variable. Expand
Some Heterotrophic Flagellates from a Cultivated Garden Soil in Australia
Summary The flagellates of an Australian garden soil were studied by placing coverslips on wet soil and subsequently examining the coverslips by light microscopy. A number of genera and species were… Expand