Esa M. Rantanen

Learn More
Mental workload is known to reduce the area of one's visual field, but little is known about its effects on the shape of the visual field. Considering this, the visual fields of 13 subjects were measured concurrently under three levels of mental workload using a Goldmann visual perimeter. Tone counting tasks were employed to induce mental workload, avoiding(More)
Intrusion detection (ID) is one of network security engineers' most important tasks. Textual (command-line) and visual interfaces are two common modalities used to support engineers in ID. We conducted a controlled experiment comparing a representative textual and visual interface for ID to develop a deeper understanding about the relative strengths and(More)
A task analysis is conducted for the complex task of network security engineers, intrusion detection (ID) of computer networks. ID helps engineers protect network from harmful attacks and can be broken down into the following phases: pre-processing information, monitoring the network, analyzing attacks, and responding to attacks. Different cognitive loads(More)
OBJECTIVE This experiment attempted to identify the features of air traffic geometry that would influence the difficulty and biases of pilots' conflict detection using a cockpit display of traffic information (CDTI). BACKGROUND There was previously no systematic study on effects of such features on conflict detection using the CDTI. METHOD Twenty-four(More)
The dual process model (Evans, 2008) posits two types of decision-making, which may be ordered on a continuum from intuitive to analytical (Hammond, 1981). This work uses a dataset of narrated image-based clinical reasoning, collected from physicians as they diagnosed dermatological cases presented as images. Two annotators with training in cognitive(More)
One of the main factors in all aviation accidents is human error. The NASA Aviation Safety Program (AvSP), therefore, has identified several human-factors safety technologies to address this issue. Some technologies directly address human error either by attempting to reduce the occurrence of errors or by mitigating the negative consequences of errors.(More)
BACKGROUND Identification of hereditary predisposition to cancer has limited significance if not followed by efficient cancer prevention in the family. Probands are traditionally left to inform their relatives about the increased risk, but distant relatives may remain uninformed. An approach to contacting directly at-risk persons assumed to be unaware of(More)
A total of 24 pilots viewed dynamic encounters between their own aircraft and an intruder aircraft on a 2-D cockpit display of traffic information (CDTI) and estimated the point and time of closest approach. A three-level alerting system provided a correct categorical estimate of the projected miss distance on 83% of the trials. The remaining 17% of alerts(More)
The problem of medical error in healthcare is well documented. It is estimated that tens of thousands of people die annually from preventable medical error. For over ten years, a traditional Human Reliability Analysis (HRA) technique, the Root Cause Analysis (RCA) has been used in hospitals nationwide in an attempt to explain why these errors occur and what(More)