Emmanuel Ch. Christoforidis

Learn More
BACKGROUND AND STUDY AIMS Previous studies on the development of post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (post-ERCP) hyperamylasemia and pancreatitis have focused on different risk factors, either procedure- or patient-related, and also prognostic factors, such as amylase levels together with the occurrence of pancreatic-type pain, which might(More)
After colon resection for colonic cancer, the administration of antineoplastic agents may prolong survival by killing residual cancer calls and preventing metastasis, but may also slow anastomotic healing. This study was designed to determine the effects of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and leucovorin (LEV), injected intraperitoneally, on the healing of colonic(More)
Background: Bile duct injury (BDI) is perhaps the most feared complication of laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC). Proper management of iatrogenic BDI is mandatory to avoid immediate or later life-threatening sequelae. The results of surgery depend mainly on the type of injury, prompt detection of the injury, and timing of the surgery. Methods: Twelve(More)
BACKGROUND The 2 main challenges of laparoscopic cholecystectomy are primary peritoneal access and safe identification, ligation, and division of the cystic duct and cystic artery. PATIENTS AND METHODS This is a 13-year period retrospective study from January 2000 to December 2012. All the operations were performed by 1 surgeon and all the data were(More)
From 2000 to 2005, three patients with Boerhaave's syndrome were successfully managed in our Department. Two of them received the appropriate treatment belatedly, with primary closure and bolstering tissue wrap. One of them required further intervention with a cervical esophagostomy and exclusion of the perforated esophagus. The third patient with an(More)
Colonic lipomas are relatively uncommon lesions. They have been documented as the source of massive low gastro-intestinal bleeding in only five previous reports in the English language literature. We report an extremely rare case of massive haemorrhage caused by an ascending colon submucosal lipoma and review the pathophysiology, diagnosis and management.
The aim of our study was to determine the anastomotic leakage rate after the performance of low anterior resection without protective stoma. During the time period from 1989 to 2001, 82 consecutive patients underwent low anterior resection for rectal carcinoma without protective stoma. Thirteen anastomoses were hand sewn (15.8%) and the remaining 69 (84.2%)(More)
OBJECTIVE To compare stapled haemorrhoidectomy with Milligan-Morgan haemorrhoidectomy. DESIGN Prospective open study. SETTING Teaching hospital, Greece. PATIENTS 85 patients with prolapsing haemorrhoids were invited to choose between stapled and Milligan-Morgan haemorrhoidectomy. 48 chose the former and 37 the latter. INTERVENTIONS Operation.(More)
The aim of this experimental study was to evaluate the effects of steroid on colonic anastomosis in a rat model. Forty female Wistar rats were randomised into two groups. After resection of a 1-cm segment of the transverse colon, an end-to-end sutured anastomosis was performed. In the rats of the control group 2 ml of solution 0.9% NaCl was injected once(More)
Bile leakage after laparoscopic biliary surgery is a surgical challenge in which endoscopy can play an important role. A total of 26 patients underwent endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in our department. Patients with evidence of major ductal injury were treated surgically. In all other cases, endoscopic sphincterotomy was performed,(More)