Learn More
  • Gregor B Adams, Karissa T Chabner, Ian R Alley, Douglas P Olson, Zbigniew M Szczepiorkowski, Mark C Poznansky +4 others
  • 2006
During mammalian ontogeny, haematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) translocate from the fetal liver to the bone marrow, where haematopoiesis occurs throughout adulthood. Unique features of bone that contribute to a microenvironmental niche for stem cells might include the known high concentration of calcium ions at the HSC-enriched endosteal surface. Cells respond(More)
We have identified a bis-ethylthiomethyl analog of K-252a, CEP-1347/KT-7515, that promotes neuronal survival in culture and in vivo. The neuronal survival properties of CEP-1347/KT-7515 may be related to its ability to inhibit the activation of c-jun N-terminal kinase, a key kinase in some forms of stress-induced neuronal death and perhaps apoptosis. There(More)
The amyloid-beta peptides (A beta) are produced in excess in Alzheimer's disease (AD) and may contribute to neuronal dysfunction and degeneration. This study provides strong evidence for a novel cellular target for the actions of A beta, the phospholipase C-coupled, extracellular Ca(2+)-sensing receptor (CaR). We demonstrate that A beta(s) produce a(More)
The synaptic cleft may be represented as a very thin disk of extracellular fluid. It is possible that at high stimulation frequencies the interval between pulses would be insufficient for diffusion of Ca2+ from the periphery of the cleft to replace extracellular Ca2+ depleted at the center of the cleft as a result of activation of postsynaptic,(More)
The extracellular Ca2+ (Cao)-sensing receptor (CaR) is expressed in hippocampus and other brain regions, suggesting that it could mediate some of the well recognized but poorly understood direct actions of Cao on neuronal function. This study presents evidence that the CaR is functionally coupled to Ca(2+)-activated K+ channels. The effects of CaR agonists(More)
This study presents evidence that a receptor sensitive to the concentration of extracellular Ca2+ (Ca[2+]o) (CaR) is functionally coupled to ion channels involved in modulation of neuronal excitability. This receptor is expressed in hippocampus and other brain regions, suggesting that it could mediate some of the well-recognized but poorly understood direct(More)
Retinal ganglion cells in the goldfish were labeled by retrograde transport of horseradish peroxidase, and areas near the optic disk where the dendrites appeared to be completely filled were analyzed by electron microscopy. Only 6% of their inputs were ribbon synapses from bipolar cells; the other 94% of the inputs were conventional synapses mostly or(More)
The calcium sensing receptor (CaSR), a calcium-binding G protein-coupled receptor is expressed also in tissues not directly involved in calcium homeostasis like the colon. We have previously reported that CaSR expression is down-regulated in colorectal cancer (CRC) and that loss of CaSR provides growth advantage to transformed cells. However, detailed(More)
Mutations in polycystins-1 and -2 (PC1 and PC2) cause autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD), which is characterized by progressive development of epithelial renal cysts, ultimately leading to renal failure. The functions of these polycystins remain elusive. Here we show that PC2 is a Ca(2+)-permeable cation channel with properties distinct(More)