E. M. Bailyes

Learn More
One of the most important inhibitory modulators of synaptic transmission in mammalian brain is adenosine. At some cholinergic terminals, adenosine is known to inhibit further release of acetylcholine. It is unclear whether adenosine is released directly at the synapse or whether ATP is co-released with transmitter and hydrolysed to adenosine in the synaptic(More)
The insulin receptor (IR) and type 1 insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I) receptor (IGFR) are both widely expressed in mammalian tissues, and are known to be capable of heteromeric assembly as insulin/IGF hybrid receptors, in addition to the classically described receptors. By selective immunoadsorption of radioligand/receptor complexes and by immunoblotting(More)
Enzymological studies have implicated two Ca(2+)-dependent endopeptidases in the conversion of proinsulin to insulin; a type 1 activity which cleaves on the C-terminal side of Arg31-Arg32 and a type 2 activity which cleaves C-terminally to Lys64-Arg65 in the proinsulin sequence. The possibility that these enzymes are related to the recently discovered(More)
Type 1 diabetes seems to be an autoimmune disease in which T cells have a substantial role. A possible target antigen was suggested by the proliferation of CD4 T cells from a newly diagnosed patient in response to a 38 kD polypeptide of the insulin-secretory-granule membrane. To see whether this reactivity is widespread at disease onset, we have generated(More)
Two-dimensional gel-electrophoretic analysis combined with fluorography and densitometric quantification was used to examine the effects of glucose on the biosynthesis of rat pancreatic islet proteins. An increase in the medium glucose concentration from 2.8 to 16.7 mM produced a 10-20 fold stimulation in the synthesis of 10 out of 260 detected islet(More)
A simple, rapid and sensitive assay for the type-1 endopeptidase (Arg-Arg cleaving) was developed by using an antiproinsulin monoclonal immunoadsorbent to separate reaction products from the substrate. The values obtained by this assay were identical with those obtained by an h.p.l.c.-based procedure and yielded similar values for the pH optimum (5.6) and(More)
Immunoaffinity-purified rat liver 5'-nucleotidase contained two subunits of Mr 70 000 (alpha) and 38 000 (beta). Charge-shift electrophoresis and chemical cross-linking revealed that approx. 80% of the solubilized enzyme activity occurred as an alpha alpha-dimer of Mr 140 000. The remaining 20% was an alpha beta-dimer of Mr 108 000. The beta-subunit did not(More)
The post-translational processing of chromogranin A (CGA) and the nature of the enzyme(s) involved were investigated in rat pancreatic islet and insulinoma tissue. Pulse-chase radiolabelling experiments using sequence-specific antisera showed that the 98 kDa (determined by SDS/PAGE) precursor was processed to an N-terminal 21 kDa peptide, a C-terminal 14(More)
The role of intracellular Ca2+ in the proteolytic processing and intracellular transport of secretory granule proproteins was investigated by pulse-chase radiolabelling of isolated rat islets of Langerhans. The conversion of proinsulin was inhibited by depletion of medium Ca2+ with EGTA and by blocking the transport of Ca2+ into cells with the Ca2+-channel(More)