David W. Feigal

Learn More
The causes, therapy for, and consequences of hypernatremia in elderly patients are not well understood. We found that in 15,187 consecutive hospital admissions, 162 (1.1%) patients who were at least 60 years of age had serum sodium levels that measured greater than 148 meq/L. Of that 162, 57% had become hypernatremic in the hospital; the remaining 43% were(More)
The efficacy and toxicity of pentamidine inhaled once a month to prevent Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) was investigated in 102 patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) or AIDS-related complex (ARC). The cohort was compared with historical controls after a mean duration of prophylaxis of 6.38 months. 86% and 15% of the patients had(More)
PURPOSE Estrogen replacement therapy is believed by many physicians to cause thrombophlebitis and to be contraindicated in women at risk for this disease. However, clinical data supporting this assumption are scant, and further investigation is required. PATIENTS AND METHODS We tested the estrogen-thrombophlebitis association in a case-control study.(More)
Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia remains one of the most common opportunistic infections in patients with acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). Treatment with either intravenous pentamidine or trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) is frequently complicated by serious adverse reactions. This study was a prospective, blinded comparison of 600 mg/d of(More)
The potential medical applications of microarrays have generated much excitement, and some skepticism, within the biomedical community. Some researchers have suggested that within the decade microarrays will be routinely used in the selection, assessment, and quality control of the best drugs for pharmaceutical development, as well as for disease diagnosis(More)
Candidiasis is the most common oral fungal infection seen in association with HIV infection. It may present in a number of clinical forms, including pseudomembranous and erythematous candidiasis. To determine whether erythematous candidiasis, like the pseudomembranous form, is predictive of the development of AIDS, we reviewed the records of 169(More)
To establish the prevalence of HIV-related oral lesions, we performed oral examinations of members of three San Francisco epidemiological cohorts of homosexual and bisexual men over a 3-year period. Hairy leukoplakia, pseudomembranous and erythematous candidiasis, angular cheilitis, Kaposi's sarcoma, and oral ulcers were more common in HIV-infected subjects(More)
To develop a model for predicting acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) morbidity in San Francisco, Calif, through June 1993, we combined annual human immunodeficiency virus seroconversion rates for homosexual and bisexual men and for heterosexual intravenous drug users with estimates of the cumulative proportion of the population with AIDS by duration(More)