- Full text PDF available (0)
- This year (0)
- Last 5 years (0)
- Last 10 years (1)
Journals and Conferences
Paraffin impregnated tulle is frequently used as a post-operative dressing after surgical repair of wounds, on skin-donor sites and in packing of tissue cavities. Historically, paraffin has been injected into various sites of the body and paraffinoma is a well-described complication. Despite this, nasal packing with paraffin gauze is still common after… (More)
Thirty four patients with a simple ganglion have been treated by aspiration alone, using a short-bevel wide-bore needle. In 41% there was no recurrence after more than one year, and most of the remaining 59% recurred with three months.
Calcifying epitheliomas of Malherbe (pilomatrixomas) are benign calcifying tumours that arise from the hair matrix and present as a slow-growing dermal or subcutaneous mass most commonly located in the head and neck. Recurrences after tumour removal are rare. There have been reports in the past of invasive pilomatrixoma in the pre-auricular area (Krausen et… (More)
The results of a prospective study of 121 latissimus dorsi flaps performed during head and neck reconstructive surgery at the Royal Marsden Hospital are presented. Three-quarters of the flaps were pedicled and one-quarter were free. All the patients underwent surgery for malignant disease. The flap failure rate was 5%, other flap related complications… (More)
This paper reports a prospective study to compare maximal tumour thickness values of the same lesion obtained by frozen and paraffin sections in 20 patients with malignant melanoma over a one-year period. Significant differences were found between tumour thickness values obtained by frozen section and paraffin section. There was no constant relationship… (More)
The clinical assessment of burn depth can be particularly difficult in children. A new technique is described for applying the pin-prick test in children. It is simple to perform, causes no distress, and has consistently given reliable results. A personal series of 196 cases is presented, with a 95 per cent diagnostic accuracy.
Merkel cell carcinomas are rare. The head and neck are the commonest sites of presentation. They are slightly more common in females and are frequently misdiagnosed. This tumour has had little coverage in the surgical journals which accounts for the low index of suspicion. Three cases, which were successfully treated surgically, are presented in order to… (More)
Coagulase negative staphylococci have long been thought to be harmless skin commensals. However they are now recognised as important pathogens in patients who have undergone insertion of prosthetic devices. We present three patients with infection following the insertion of silicone polymer prostheses, in whom a coagulase negative staphylococcus was the… (More)