Author pages are created from data sourced from our academic publisher partnerships and public sources.
Share This Author
Corneal avascularity is due to soluble VEGF receptor-1
It is shown that the cornea expresses soluble VEGF receptor-1 (sVEGFR-1; also known as sflt-1) and that suppression of this endogenous V EGF-A trap by neutralizing antibodies, RNA interference or Cre-lox-mediated gene disruption abolishes corneal avascularity in mice.
Comparative morphology of the tapetum lucidum (among selected species).
- F. Ollivier, D. Samuelson, D. Brooks, P. Lewis, M. Kallberg, A. Komáromy
- BiologyVeterinary ophthalmology
- 1 March 2004
The tapetum lucidum represents a remarkable example of neural cell and tissue specialization as an adaptation to a dim light environment and, despite these differences, all tapetal variants act to increase retinal sensitivity by reflecting light back through the photoreceptor layer.
Glutamine regulates Caco-2 cell tight junction proteins.
- Nan Li, P. Lewis, D. Samuelson, Kellym Liboni, J. Neu
- BiologyAmerican journal of physiology. Gastrointestinal…
- 1 September 2004
Findings indicate that TJ protein expression and cellular localization in Caco-2 cell monolayers rely on GLN, and this mechanism may similarly relate to GLN-mediated modulation of intestinal barrier function in stressed animals and humans.
Textbook of veterinary histology
- D. Samuelson
- Medicine, Biology
1. Histotechniques 2. The Cell 3. The Epithelium 4. Glands 5. Connective Tissue 6. Cartilage and Bone 7. Blood and Hemopoiesis 8. Muscle 9. Nervous Tissue 10. Circulatory System 11. Respiratory…
Responsive transporter genes within the murine intestinal-pancreatic axis form a basis of zinc homeostasis.
- J. Liuzzi, J. A. Bobo, Louis A. Lichten, D. Samuelson, R. Cousins
- BiologyProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences…
- 5 October 2004
The results show that Zn transporter expression in the intestinal-pancreatic axis is a component of the homeostatic regulation of this micronutrient.
Conjunctival fungal flora in horses, cattle, dogs, and cats.
Conjunctival swab specimens were obtained from both eyes of 43 horses, 25 cows, 50 dogs, and 25 cats without keratitis or other ophthalmologic problems and 28 species from 209 isolants were identified.
Local fundus response to blue (LED and laser) and infrared (LED and laser) sources.
Nonparametric statistical analysis of the scores from the two samples support the conclusion that there is no difference in the consequences of LED and laser light exposures under these matched conditions.
Unravelling the skin barrier: a new paradigm for atopic dermatitis and house dust mites.
It is proposed that the paradigm of canine AD as primarily due to immunologic aberration ('inside/outside') should be shifted to include a primary defect in barrier function ('outside/inside').
Glutamine decreases lipopolysaccharide-induced intestinal inflammation in infant rats.
- Nan Li, Kellym Liboni, J. Neu
- Biology, MedicineAmerican journal of physiology. Gastrointestinal…
- 1 June 2004
Results indicate that Gln decreases the LPS-induced inflammatory response in infant rat intestine under different conditions of protein intake.
Microanatomy of Facial Vibrissae in the Florida Manatee: The Basis for Specialized Sensory Function and Oripulation
- R. Reep, M. Stoll, C. Marshall, B. Homer, D. Samuelson
- BiologyBrain, Behavior and Evolution
- 14 December 2001
The present data suggest that perioral bristles in manatees might have a tactile sensory role much like that of vibrissae in other mammals, in addition to their documented role in grasping of plants during feeding.