Colleen M Croniger

Learn More
The Mouse Metabolic Phenotyping Center (MMPC) Consortium was established to address the need to characterize the growing number of mouse models of metabolic diseases, particularly diabetes and obesity. A goal of the MMPC Consortium is to propose standard methods for assessing metabolic phenotypes in mice. In this article, we discuss issues pertaining to the(More)
Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is one of the leading causes of cancer death worldwide, with approximately 70% of cases resulting from hepatitis B and C viral infections, aflatoxin exposure, chronic alcohol use or genetic liver diseases. The remaining approximately 30% of cases are associated with obesity, type 2 diabetes and related metabolic diseases,(More)
Although central to many studies of phenotypic variation and disease susceptibility, characterizing the genetic architecture of complex traits has been unexpectedly difficult. For example, most of the susceptibility genes that contribute to highly heritable conditions such as obesity and type 2 diabetes (T2D) remain to be identified despite intensive study.(More)
The accumulation of unfolded proteins in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) triggers a stress response program that protects cells early in the response and can lead to apoptosis during prolonged stress. The basic leucine zipper transcription factor, CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein beta (C/EBPbeta), is one of the genes with increased expression during ER stress.(More)
Genome sequences are essential tools for comparative and mutational analyses. Here we present the short read sequence of mouse chromosome 17 from the Mus musculus domesticus derived strain A/J, and the Mus musculus castaneus derived strain CAST/Ei. We describe approaches for the accurate identification of nucleotide and structural variation in the genomes(More)
From the ‡Department of Biochemistry, Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel, the §Department of Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106-4935, the ¶Schwartz Center for Metabolism and Nutrition, MetroHealth Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44109, and the Department of Molecular Biology,(More)
Several components of the canonical pathway of response to lipopolysaccharide (LPS) are required for the EGF-dependent activation of NFκB. Conversely, the ability of Toll-like Receptor 4 (TLR4) to activate NFκB in response to LPS is impaired by down regulating EGF receptor (EGFR) expression or by using the EGFR inhibitor erlotinib. The LYN proto-oncogene(More)
Obesity and its comorbidities are taking an increasing toll on human health. Key pathways that were identified with single gene variants in humans and model organisms have led to improved understanding and treatment of rare cases of human obesity. However, similar progress remains elusive for the more common multifactorial cases of metabolic dysfunction and(More)
The plasma membrane protein STRA6 is thought to mediate uptake of retinol from its blood carrier retinol-binding protein (RBP) into cells and to function as a surface receptor that, upon binding of holo-RBP, activates a JAK/STAT cascade. It was suggested that STRA6 signaling underlies insulin resistance induced by elevated serum levels of RBP in obese(More)
BACKGROUND & AIMS Early growth response-1 (Egr-1), an immediate early gene/zinc-finger transcription factor, is required for maximal stimulation of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) transcription in response to lipopolysaccharide (LPS). Because chronic ethanol exposure sensitizes macrophages to LPS-stimulated TNF-alpha expression, we have investigated(More)