Chris Henze

Learn More
This paper describes the hyperwall, a visualization cluster that uses coordinated visualizations for interactive exploration of multidimensional data and simulations. The system strongly leverages the human eye-brain system with a generous 7x7 array of flat panel LCD screens powered by a Beowulf cluster. With each screen backed by a workstation class PC,(More)
by in situ and remotely sensed observations have become routinely available during the past five years, and they are being applied to myriad scientific and operational problems [Stammer et al., 2002]. Under the Global Ocean Data Assimilation Experiment (GODAE), several regional and global estimates have evolved for applications in climate research, seasonal(More)
We describe a concurrent visualization pipeline designed for operation in a production supercomputing environment. The facility was initially developed on the NASA Ames "Columbia" supercomputer for a massively parallel forecast model (GEOS4). During the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, GEOS4 was run 4 times a day under tight time constraints so that its(More)
[1] It is known that General Circulation Models (GCMs) have insufficient resolution to accurately simulate hurricane near-eye structure and intensity. The increasing capabilities of high-end computers have changed this. The mesoscale-resolving finite-volume GCM (fvGCM) has been experimentally deployed on the NASA Columbia supercomputer, and its performance(More)
The MIT Faculty has made this article openly available. Please share how this access benefits you. Your story matters. Abstract. Up to 1920 processors of a cluster of distributed shared memory machines at the NASA Ames Research Center are being used to simulate ocean circulation globally at horizontal resolutions of 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16-degree with the(More)
Proposal Summary The visible material in the universe – stars, gas, dust, planets – accounts for only about 0.5% of the cosmic density. The remaining 99.5% of the universe is invisible. Most of it is dark matter (~23%) and dark energy (~72%), with non-luminous baryons making up ~4%. In order to describe the evolution and structure of the universe, it is(More)