- Full text PDF available (1)
- This year (0)
- Last 5 years (0)
- Last 10 years (1)
Journals and Conferences
Twenty-four of 175 heifers died after ingesting water from a stock pond containing blue-green algae (genus Microcystis) in southern Colorado. Affected cattle were found dead or had signs of nervousness, and were recumbent, weak, anorectic, and hypersensitive to noise when first examined. All cattle died within 3 days after the onset of signs. At necropsy,… (More)
A 2-year-old, neutered, male cat was euthanatized because of difficult repiration and inability to rise. Necropsy revealed pyothorax. Corynebacterium pyogenes was grown from the purulent thoracic exudate. A Borrelia-like microorganism was demonstrated in the exudate, using phase-contrast microscopy.
Two Quarter Horse foals from different premises died from enterotoxemia. Clostridium perfringens toxins alpha and beta were demonstrated in the foal's intestines by mouse protection tests. Clostridium perfringens type C was isolated from the intestines of each foal. Histologic examination revealed hemorrhage, necrosis, and massive numbers of C perfringens.
Fifteen range cows died of oxalate poisoning caused by ingestion of Rumex venosus. Ecchymotic and petechial hemorrhages were prominent on the abdominal serosal surfaces. Approximately 2 L of thin, yellowish fluid was in the abdominal cavity, and mesenteric lymph nodes were enlarged and edematous. Other findings included catarrhal abomasitis; enteritis;… (More)
Myositis and septicemia caused by Acinetobacter calcoaceticus were diagnosed in a mare. The infection was characterized clinically by ventral swelling and edema, diarrhea, listlessness, and rectal temperature of 39.4 C. The mare was treated symptomatically for 2 days but died on the 3rd day. Conditions seen at necropsy were myositis, enteritis, typhlitis,… (More)
Cattle consuming only high-sulfate water (2.3 g/L) and Kochia scoparia in a marginal pasture in southeastern Colorado were periodically monitored by serum chemical profiles. Serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase, serum sorbitol dehydrogenase, and serum bilirubin values were abnormally high over extended periods, suggesting chronic toxicosis, but the… (More)
Cattle consuming only Kochia scoparia in a pasture southeastern Colorado became ill. Clinical signs were lacrimation, depression, anorexia, nystagmus, head pressing, and recumbency. Some cattle died acutely, with the only clinical signs being recumbency, nystagmus, and occasionally opisthotonos. Pathologic findings were pulmonary edema and congestion,… (More)
Kochia scoparia was collected periodically during the growing seasons of 1984, 1985 and 1986. The 10, 16 and 16 samples, respectively, from these years were air dried, hammer milled and analyzed at a later date for soluble and total oxalates. An additional 6 samples from New Mexico were analyzed from the 1987 growing season. A maximum of 4.7% soluble… (More)
Polioencephalomalacia developed in 27 of 225 cattle grazing on 486 hectares of dry, short, grama grass pasture. Chemicals in drinking water, toxin from nitrate-utilizing ruminal bacteria, and documented poisonous plants were considered as etiologic agents. Attempts to reproduce the disease by injecting mice and dosing sheep with broth filtrate from… (More)