Carl E. Stafstrom

Learn More
1. Potassium conductances were studied in large layer V neurons using an in vitro slice preparation of cat sensorimotor cortex. The kinetics and pharmacological sensitivity of K+ currents were studied directly using single microelectrode voltage clamp and indirectly by evoking single or multiple spikes and recording the spike repolarization and subsequent(More)
Properties of the persistent sodium conductance and the calcium conductance of layer V neurons from cat sensorimotor cortex were examined in an in vitro slice preparation by use of a single microelectrode, somatic voltage clamp, current clamp, intra- and extracellular application of blocking agents, and extracellular ion substitution. The persistent sodium(More)
Temporal lobe epilepsy is a common form of drug-resistant epilepsy that sometimes responds to dietary manipulation such as the 'ketogenic diet'. Here we have investigated the effects of the glycolytic inhibitor 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2DG) in the rat kindling model of temporal lobe epilepsy. We show that 2DG potently reduces the progression of kindling and(More)
The long-term behavioral and cognitive effects of seizures at different ages were studied using the kainic acid (KA) seizure model. Rats of postnatal (P) ages (in days) 5, 10, 20, 30, and 60 were administered KA intraperitoneally (i.p.), which induced status epilepticus for several hours, or an equivalent volume of saline. Occurrence of spontaneous(More)
Sodium currents are essential for the initiation and propagation of neuronal firing. Alterations of sodium currents can lead to abnormal neuronal activity, such as occurs in epilepsy. The transient voltage-gated sodium current mediates the upstroke of the action potential. A small fraction of sodium current, termed the persistent sodium current (I(NaP)),(More)
Acute and chronic effects of seizures induced by intraperitoneal (i.p.) injection of kainic acid (KA) were studied in developing rats (postnatal days (P) 5, 10, 20, 30, and adult 60). For 3 months following KA-induced status epilepticus, spontaneous recurrent seizure (SRS) occurrence was quantified using intermittent video monitoring. Latency to generalized(More)
PURPOSE Despite use of the ketogenic diet (KD) for >75 years its effectiveness or mechanism of action has been examined in few animal studies. Using the kindling model of epilepsy, we tested the anticonvulsant effectiveness and behavioral consequences of an experimental KD in adult rats. METHODS Rats fully kindled from the amygdala were divided into(More)
Properties of the action potential and subthreshold response were studied in large layer V neurons in in vitro slices of cat sensorimotor cortex using intracellular recording and stimulation, application of agents that block active conductances, and a single-microelectrode voltage clamp (SEVC). A variety of measured parameters, including action-potential(More)
The ketogenic diet (KD) is a high-fat, low-carbohydrate, and low-protein diet that is widely used to treat epilepsy in children. Although the KD has been shown to be efficacious in the treatment of childhood epilepsy, the long-term effects of the KD on brain development are not clear. The objective of this study was to examine the long-term effects of the(More)
Tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC) is a congenital syndrome characterized by the widespread development of benign tumors in multiple organs, caused by mutations in one of the tumor suppressor genes, TSC1 or TSC2. About 80% of affected patients have a new mutation, and the remaining 20% have inherited a TSC gene mutation from a parent. The disorder affects(More)