Apolinary Mugomela

Learn More
SETTING Little is known about the outcome of tuberculosis (TB) treatment and subsequent survival of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infected patients treated under routine programme conditions in a developing country. We followed a cohort of HIV-positive and HIV-negative tuberculosis patients during therapy and assessed their vital and tuberculosis(More)
A cross-sectional study was conducted in Mwanza, Tanzania, to determine the burden of HIV and parasitic co-infections among patients who were confirmed or suspected cases of pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB). Of the 655 patients investigated, 532 (81.2%) had been confirmed as PTB cases, by microscopy and/or culture (PTB+), whereas the other 123 (18.8%) were only(More)
BACKGROUND The performance of the tuberculosis specific Interferon Gamma Release Assays (IGRAs) has not been sufficiently documented in tuberculosis- and HIV-endemic settings. This study evaluated the sensitivity of the QuantiFERON TB-Gold In-Tube (QFT-IT) in patients with culture confirmed pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) in a TB- and HIV-endemic population(More)
OBJECTIVE The aim of the study was to assess the effects of micronutrient supplementation on culture conversion in tuberculosis (TB) patients. DESIGN The study was a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled 2 x 2 trial of zinc and multi-micronutrient (MMN) supplementation in pulmonary TB patients in Tanzania. RESULTS A total of 499 pulmonary TB(More)
Anti-tuberculosis drug resistance is a major problem in tuberculosis (TB) control, particularly multi-drug resistance TB (MDR-TB). The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence of primary and acquired anti-TB drug resistance among newly diagnosed pulmonary TB (PTB) and relapse cases. Sputa were collected from newly diagnosed and relapse PTB(More)
  • 1