Learn More
In this paper we present the results of a field study of Avaaj Otalo (literally, "voice stoop"), an interactive voice application for small-scale farmers in Gujarat, India. Through usage data and interviews, we describe how 51 farmers used the system over a seven month pilot deployment. The most popular feature of Avaaj Otalo was a forum for asking(More)
Spoken Web proposes to build an alternate web for the underprivileged population that is yet untouched by the enormous benefits of Internet and World Wide Web. Just over 22% of World's population today has access to Internet [Stats 2008]. The remaining 78% either cannot afford computers or high end mobiles, or are textually illiterate or simply reside in(More)
Any national cuisine is a sum total of its variety of regional cuisines, which are the cultural and historical identifiers of their respective regions. India is home to a number of regional cuisines that showcase its culinary diversity. Here, we study recipes from eight different regional cuisines of India spanning various geographies and climates. We(More)
Delivering new technology solutions in a well established IT-educated consumer market largely depends on the usefulness and usability of the solution. However, this is very different from delivering ICT solutions in developing regions where there are multiple factors that affect technology adoption, which seem to be at least as important as the technology(More)
The Spoken Web is a voice-based equivalent of the World Wide Web (WWW), developed by IBM Research Laboratory, India, primarily designed for rural and semi-urban people to provide information of value to them through their mobile or landline phones. This demonstration aims to present the use of VoiceSites for information creation and access for the rural(More)
Much of the mobile work by HCI researchers explores a future world populated by high-end devices and relatively affluent users. This paper turns to consider the hundreds of millions of people for whom such sophistication will not be realised for many years to come. In developing world contexts, people will continue to rely on voice-primary interactions due(More)
Forty percent of the world's population, including a significant portion of the rural and urban poor sections of the population in India, does not have access to reliable electricity supply. Concurrently, there is rapid penetration of battery-operated portable computing devices such as laptops, both in the developing and developed world. This generates a(More)
Culinary practices are influenced by climate, culture, history and geography. Molecular composition of recipes in a cuisine reveals patterns in food preferences. Indian cuisine encompasses a number of diverse sub-cuisines separated by geographies, climates and cultures. Its culinary system has a long history of health-centric dietary practices focused on(More)
Finding and retaining volunteers is a challenge for most of the NGOs (non-government-organizations) or non-profit organizations worldwide. Quite often, volunteers have a desire to help but are hesitant in making time commitments due to busy lives or demanding schedules. Micro-volunteering or crowdsourced volunteering has taken off in the last few years(More)
In recent years, the India has witnessed a rapidly exploding epidemic of diabetes mellitus. It would not be hyperbolic to state that diabetes mellitus is the mother of morbidity of all vital organs. Diabetic retinopathy and its complications cause considerable ocular morbidity as well. With effective management strategies visual loss due to the disease can(More)