Learn More
This paper draws on two reviews commissioned by the UK Department for International Development in 2006-2007 that explore progress in linking HIV prevention and maternity services in sub-Saharan Africa. Although pilot and demonstration projects have been successful, progress in scaling up PMTCT has been slow, reaching just 11% of pregnant HIV positive women(More)
INTRODUCTION Genetic variants affecting adrenoceptors have been suggested to influence body fatness. A putative gain-of-function polymorphism in the beta(1)-adrenoceptor was recently discovered (Gly389Arg ADRB1). We examined the association between Gly389Arg ADRB1 and obesity status in a large cohort of well-characterized individuals. METHODS First, a(More)
OBJECTIVE To pilot test a standardized intraoperative and postoperative nursing intervention protocol to minimize maternal-infant separation after Cesarean. DESIGN Randomized-controlled trial. SETTING A 250-bed acute care community hospital labor/delivery/recovery/postpartum unit with approximately 150 repeat Cesarean deliveries per year. PARTICIPANTS(More)
This paper examines the determinants of GP visiting in Ireland, using panel data from the Living in Ireland Survey from 1995-2001. While cross-sectional studies provide important information on GP visiting patterns at a certain point in time, with panel data we can also control for unobserved individual heterogeneity, as well as identify whether it is the(More)
The period from 1996 to 2008 was one of rapid economic and social change in Ireland, with one of the most significant changes being the transition from a situation of net emigration to one of substantial net immigration. Although research on the impact of immigration on Irish society, as well as the labour market characteristics and experiences of(More)
The determinants of general practitioner (GP) visiting patterns in Ireland, in particular the role of eligibility for free GP care, are examined using microdata from a nationally representative survey of the population in 2001. Whereas most studies find that need factors such as age and health status are most important in determining GP visiting rates, the(More)
Internationally, there is extensive empirical evidence that a strong primary care-led health system is associated with improved health outcomes, increased quality of care, decreased health inequalities and lower overall health-care costs. Within primary care, factors influencing access to, and utilisation of, general practitioner (GP) services have been(More)
In Ireland, approximately 30% of the population ('medical card patients') are entitled to free general practitioner (GP) care while the remaining 70% ('private patients') must pay the full cost of each visit. Previous research has analysed the effect of this system on GP visiting patterns using regression methods, but to date, no attempt has been made to(More)