Learn More
OBJECT The aim of this study was to determine the extent of muscle injury caused by continuous or intermittent muscle retraction during macro- and microdiscectomy in lumbar disc surgery. Pain scores, serum creatine phosphokinase (CPK) levels, and histological findings obtained in muscle specimens were compared. METHODS Sixty patients who underwent surgery(More)
BACKGROUND An increased incidence of thromboembolic events has been described in patients with cancer. Cancer cells are attributed with producing procoagulant substances such as cysteine protease and tissue factor to activate factor X and factor VII, respectively. However, there are limited data on the pathogenesis behind this hypercoagulability state, and(More)
We aimed to determine the relationship between functional recovery after knee arthroplasty and systemic and local inflammatory responses. A prospective, clinical study of thirty patients who had osteoarthritis was conducted. After the total knee arthroplasty (TKA), intraarticular IL-6 levels, serum IL-6 levels and serum CRP levels were measured. The primary(More)
Ochronotic arthropathy is a rare condition found in patients with alkaptonuria which is a hereditary metabolic disease associated with deposition of homogentisic acid derivatives in the articular cartilage, menisci, ligaments, and connective tissues due to homogentisic acid oxidase deficiency. These pigmentary changes are termed ochronosis. We presented a(More)
The presence of a chronic inflammatory state has also been widely documented in end-stage renal disease patients receiving maintenance hemodialysis (HD). It is commonly attributed to the constantly renewed activation of circulating neutrophils and monocytes following blood passage through dialysis circuits and subsequent generation of activated complement(More)
There are conflicting reports about the natural history and prognosis of bladder tumours in patients under 40 years of age. A review of 156 patients younger than 40 treated at our Department between 1960 and 1991 with transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder revealed that 89.1% had superficial (Ta/T1) disease and the remaining 10.9% presented with(More)
Breast cancer (BC) is the most frequent cause of cancer death in women throughout the world. Thus, it is necessary to establish sensitive screening, diagnosis and treatment methods for BC. Heat shock protein 70 (HSP70) is an important cellular stress response protein that protects cells from apoptosis. Recent studies have shown that serum HSP70 levels may(More)
INTRODUCTION Metabolic syndrome is a systemic disorder and manifests as a group of conditions including abdominal obesity, dyslipidemia, hypertension and coronary artery disease. The importance of epicardial adipose tissue has been proven through recognition of its contribution to inflammation by pro-inflammatory cytokine discharge. Several investigations(More)
Background: Insulin resistance is associated with metabolic syndrome and is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. C-reactive protein (CRP) is an inflammatory marker which is demonstrated as a strong predictor of future cardiovascular events. Material Method: In this study, sixty-three patients who were diagnosed with metabolic syndrome and twenty(More)
Inflammation is mechanistically involved in the development of Peyronie's disease (PD). The aim of this study is to assess the relevance of serum pentraxin 3 (PTX3) and interleukin-6 (IL-6) concentrations in PD. The study enrolled 40 patients with PD in the acute phase and 40 healthy controls. Plasma PTX3 and IL-6 concentrations were evaluated in 40(More)