Agapito Tarasi

Learn More
Carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae (CR-KP) is becoming a common cause of healthcare-associated infection in Italy, with high morbidity and mortality. Prevalent CR-KP clones and resistance mechanisms vary between regions and over time. Therapeutic approaches and their impact on mortality have to be investigated. We performed a prospective study of(More)
Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) still causes a large portion of meningitis in children less than 5 year old in Italy because vaccination against this agent has not been fully implemented in the country. We have studied 78 Hib strains and 4 nontypable H. influenzae (NTHi) isolated from the cerebrospinal fluid of subjects with meningitis for(More)
A 5-year experience of 19 aortic graft infections is reviewed. Of these, 13 (68%) had a late onset (more than 4 months after graft implantation) and usually presented with anastomotic pseudo-aneurysm or thrombosis. The remaining six infections (32%) had an early onset and presented more often with surgical wound infection. Aorto-enteric fistulae and(More)
The in vitro susceptibilities of 10 isolates of Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae to 16 antimicrobial agents were determined. Penicillin and imipenem were the most active agents, followed by piperacillin, cefotaxime, ciprofloxacin, pefloxacin, and clindamycin. Some resistance was observed with erythromycin, tetracycline, and chloramphenicol. Activity was poor or(More)
A 56-year old man with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and biliary tract endoprosthesis, developed chronic bacteremia caused by Enterococcus faecalis with high-level resistance to gentamicin and streptomycin. The sources of bacteremia were a device-associated biliary tract infection, a suppurative thrombophlebitis of the confluence of the superior mesenteric vein(More)
Because few data are available in Italy regarding antimicrobial susceptibility and serotype distribution of invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae strains, meningeal isolates collected at Italian hospitals during the years 1997-1999 were studied. The 12 most common serogroups, representing > 85% of the isolates, were 14, 23, 6, 4, 3, 9, 19, 8, 1, 12, 18, and 7(More)
The conventional therapeutic approach to bone infection associated with osteosynthesis is based on the idea that microbial eradication is most readily achieved by removal of the foreign material together with adequate antimicrobial therapy. This strategy usually requires implantation of external fixation devices with additional discomfort to the patient. We(More)
We tested the efficacy of quinupristin/dalfopristin, an antibiotic made up of dalfopristin (70%) and quinupristin (30%) against a large panel of Streptococcus pneumoniae strains. The pneumococcal isolates (217) included 200 penicillin-resistant and 17 penicillin-susceptible clinical isolates. Eighty-nine of the 200 resistant bacteria showed an intermediate(More)