Application of the Welfare Quality protocol to assess growing pigs kept under intensive conditions in Spain
- D. Temple, A. Dalmau, J. L. R. L. Torre, X. Manteca, A. Velarde
- 1 March 2011
What do preweaned and weaned calves need in the diet: a high fiber content or a forage source?
- M. Terré, E. Pedrals, A. Dalmau, A. Bach
- Medicine, BiologyJournal of Dairy Science
- 1 August 2013
In conclusion, a low-NDF pelleted starter is recommended during the preweaning period, and the provision of chopped hay is necessary right after weaning to improve calf performance.
The welfare of growing pigs in five different production systems: assessment of feeding and housing.
- D. Temple, V. Courboulay, X. Manteca, A. Velarde, A. Dalmau
- Biology, MedicineAnimal
- 1 April 2012
There were important differences between production systems based on animal-based indicators of the good feeding and housing principles, and the recording of the age of the animals, type of floor, feeding system, stocking density and environmental temperature can be useful to predict the appearance of a given welfare measure of 'good housing' on a farm.
Assessment of animal welfare through behavioural parameters in Iberian pigs in intensive and extensive conditions
- D. Temple, X. Manteca, A. Velarde, A. Dalmau
- 1 April 2011
Application of the Welfare Quality® protocol at pig slaughterhouses
- A. Dalmau, D. Temple, P. Rodriguez, P. Llonch, A. Velarde
- MedicineAnimal Welfare
- 1 November 2009
For the majority of measures, any differences between slaughterhouses were found to be attributable to the installation itself and the management of the slaughterhouse, such as generalised fear, slipping and falling or stunning effectiveness, as opposed to measures taken to assess transport conditions or farm origin,such as lameness or sick and dead animals.
Religious slaughter: evaluation of current practices in selected countries.
- A. Velarde, P. Rodriguez, B. Cenci-Goga
- MedicineMeat Science
Effects of meloxicam (Metacam®) on post-farrowing sow behaviour and piglet performance.
- E. Mainau, J. L. Ruiz-de-la-Torre, A. Dalmau, J. Salleras, X. Manteca
- 1 March 2012
Although the administration ofmeloxicam 90 min after farrowing showed a positive effect on the total time lying of the sows, additional investigations are required to better qualify relevant indicators of pain following farrowing in sows and to specify the analgesic effects of meloxicam on piglet performance.
Animal welfare towards sustainability in pork meat production.
- A. Velarde, E. Fàbrega, I. Blanco-Penedo, A. Dalmau
- Medicine, ChemistryMeat Science
- 1 November 2015
Assessment of test–retest reliability of animal-based measures on growing pig farms
- D. Temple, X. Manteca, A. Dalmau, A. Velarde